CR REV

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
OK all you KTM guys tell me what I need to know about the 300 MXC/EXC in '02. Considering one that I found new. I have never bought a new bike or a KTM before. Anything to look out for like wheel spacers and such? Any set up ideas for woods/harescrambles?

oldfatguy

Jul 15, 2002
I have an '02 300 MXC that I picked up in July. Can't say that I'm totally thrilled with it but most of the "problems with the bike" are really "problems with me".

1. The MXC has a close-ratio transmission and, at least for my slow riding, is geared too high for the tight trails. If you lower the overall gearing, you lose a lot of top speed. For my "riding style" (if you can call it that), the EXC, with it's wide-ratio transmission, would have been a better choice. The EXC is also geared high for the tight trails (don't flame - IMO) but, with the wide-ratio transmission, you can lower the overall gearing and still keep good top speed.

2. I'm still futzing with the jetting on the darn thing. It ran very rich from the outset and I've been slowly working it down. I'm next going to try the 170 main (two notches leaner than stock) and see if that gets me there.

3. It's so darn tall! But then they all are and, yes, this is a personal problem.

4. It's so darn powerful! And, yes, this is also a personal problem. I would probably have been better off with a less powerful machine. At least while I'm still re-learning the sport.

5. The stock seat cover will need to be replaced (color fading and tearing problems?) but that is covered under KTM's warranty. Make sure your dealer does this for you at no charge.

6. I wish the forks allowed preload adjustment (has compression and rebound damping only). They're too stout for me so I need to look for a lighter spring.

End of griping.

The components are top-notch. You get stuff on a KTM that you'd have to get after-market on the jap bikes (suspension, hydraulic clutch, etc.).

Hope this helps.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
As for preload adjustment-you can order the adjustable fork caps-but I wonder if it is worth the effort-preload only affects the first inch of travel. I have them on my 02 sx, and frankly, have never used them. I added them to my old husaberg, and played with them, and thought I should have spent my money elsewhere. There are excs out there available cheap also, if you would rather have it. I would agree that the EXCs wr transmission is really sweat. One of my riding buddies has the MXC and wishes he had the EXC box.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I also picked up one of these in July, and here's my thoughts after owning a '99 300EXC:

- For setup, get the hardened spacers (front & rear) from eRider or Enduro Engineering. The stock spacers don't last long. Also get the clutch cylinder guard and a strong pipe guard.

- I actually like the MXC gearing better in the woods, except that the top speed is a lot less than the EXC. This weekend I put on a 48-tooth rear sprocket and it works good for fast, open, GNCC-type trails, but a little high for the really tight stuff. I have a 50-tooth sprocket that may be a decent compromise.

- My jetting was O.K. but I have to use race gas. Too much knocking at lower RPM's, that I couldn't solve with jetting. Apparently the carb is slightly different than the '99.

- The MXC likes to be ridden hard, and it has the power to pull the lower-geared 3rd-5th gears very, very strong.

- Re-locate that black box under the tank. Kits are available from Enduro Engineering, but with a little creativity you can do it yourself.

- Loc-tite everything. It's a KTM, afterall.

- Protect the back of the lower shock mount housing. The mud flap rubs against it and gradually wears on it.

Get the bike. You'll be glad you did.

jclement

Oct 21, 2002
I'm in the exact same position. This was my first new bike (owned road race and street bikes before, and an older cr250). Found a 02 mxc for 4400 otd, so no hesitation.

I'm in the D36 enduro's in my first year...and I feel like I'm cheating! The bike works absolutely fantastic. I've had new springs and a revalve, tall soft seat, fmf Q sparky, relocated the cdi, Wer damper, tag clamp and bars, EE clutch lever and SS line, carbon pipe guard and skid plate....so far. Had it since early October, but I will be a ktm fan from now on. I find the gearing and jetting to be fine for the tight stuff, especially since it's nearly impossible to stall, even in second gear. Only problem I'm finding is it really likes to go to neutral if I'm on a steep hill where I HAVE to shift to first...but that's probably more me.

I didn't get the exc because of the weight difference, and i will never need lights. the tranny is great for the enduros....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom