BSer

May 1, 2001
I've owned my 02' YZ125 since it was new and am pretty good about maintenance...except I just pulled apart the swing arm and linkage for the first time (hey...I used to be a KTM guy).

It wasn't giving my any problems, and I really don't ride a real lot (and I also avoid pressure washers as much as possible) but I figured I better do some maintenance on it.

I have it all apart and the first thing I noticed is that the bearings in the swing arm do not come out easily. After I pretty much wrecked the seals prying them out with a screw driver I realized that it may be easiest to leave the bearing in place and just add some grease...they really don't look bad. Do I need to remove them?

But here is my big question...I'm not sure if the bearings in the linkage are god or bad. There doesn't seem to be a lot of play in them, however, the bearing resembles a sleeve more than a needle bearing. These are supposed to be needle bearings correct? Could all the needles be worn flat? Either the bearing is good or really shot.

If they are shot, any tips for removing the seals and bearings without screwing anything up? Are the linkage bearing pressed in also?

Thanks in advance.

tuckers20

Mod Ban
Dec 2, 2005
i have a 97 yz250 and the set is pretty much the same. Check if there is any play in the swingarm bearings first. if not i dont see a problem with regreasing them while their still in. With your linkage if they dont have any play they should be fine. The bearing it self is made up of little rods that arent held together so becareful when pulling them apart. the easiest way to keep them intact is to scrunch up some paper and stick it where the rod goes. I got mine out using a vise. find a socket thats the diameter of the bearing case and push it threw with the vise. If their shot i replaced mine with all balls bearings and their great.

BSer

May 1, 2001
Thanks, I guess I'll just grease everything and put it back together. There is no play in the linkage so I am assuming the bearings are o.k., although it is difficult to tell by looking at them. I may grease them and check again in 6 months.

Top Bottom