fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Ok, there is only one way to describe this thing...WOW!:eek:

I had my first ride on this puppy on Sunday and I am totally impressed. After I greased everything up and broke it in on Sat., I was off on Sunday to ride this beast for the first time. I am coming off a '98 KX125 (which was a great bike for me, I still love that thing), and jumping to the 250 was a big change. I am still nursing an ACL injury, so I was riding very tentative.

I took it out to a section that we are working on for our Enduro coming up in a few weeks, and man, does this thing rip. The power band never stopped pulling. I don't care if I was in 1st or 5th, this thing just kept on pulling. I purposely ran it a gear higher a few times to see what it would do, and it still pulled me right through like nothing flat. Yet it seemed pretty smooth for a 250. There wasn't a defined low, bottom, and top end, it all seemed to be pulling just as hard off the bottom as it does on the top.

The forks seemed a little harsh, but I understand that it is going to need some time to break in. The only gripe I had was that the clutch seemed very touchy, like I had a toggle switch mounted on my handlebars. Not a big deal, I can get used to it.

I am totally impressed by this Yamaha machine, it was very well thought out, and boy did they do their homework on this motor...Great bike, can't wait 'till I am 100% so I can really lay into her in the woods!

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Sounds like a yamaha..:p

Glad to hear you like it. All you guys getting these brand new '02 bikes are making me jealous.:) Too bad I cant afford one. Id like to get my hands on an 02 yz125. Sounds like a sweet bike.

BTW - your clutch just needs broken in... like your forks, it wont be that touchy after a few rides.

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
I second that Trackmaster! It takes two hard days to break it in. When it is, you will know! It is a great bike this year. :scream:

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
That is great to hear. I was hoping that was the case, that all it needed was a little time to settle in. Boy I tell you what, if this does break in like you say it will, this thing is perfection. I know I am still kind of on the new bike "high", but I am totally impressed. This was the first real 250 that I rode, and man am I hooked. This can definately be a lazy man's bike for sure...:confused:

I am a little nervous about messing with the jetting. It seems to be a little on the rich side about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, but I'm not too sure I want to mess with it right now. My old bike was jetted pretty much spot on when I bought it used, so I am a jetting rookie. I think I have a good idea on how to do it judging on all the posts I've read from here, just got to put that knowledge to use.

Anyone else have to mess around with the jetting at all on this bike?

Nick

FJP467

Nov 26, 2000
FMF, I will second that opinion...WOW! The '02 YZ is truly a well engineered machine. I have had mine for about 3 weeks, been on a few different tracks and I like it more each time out. Here is my 2 cents worth:

Motor: I know you can not have bottom, mid and top but this motor comes pretty damn close. It does not have the instant power that my 99 KX has down low, but it is not far off. Roll on power is smooth and strong. I have only had to fan the clutch in deep, deep sand to light the motor up. I have read some posts where guys are going with a lighter fly wheel weight. I think in tight situations, it would be TOO much to handle. In my opinion, this motor is superior to the '02 CR. The Honda sems to have a bigger hit in the middle but the powerband is not nearly as broad or as friendly to ride.

Suspension: I am just starting to get really confident in the suspension. Out of the box the suspension seemed stiff and I was getting a lot of head shake. It definitely did not track as straight or was as stable as my KX. However, this weekend I set my race sag at 100 mm, came out 2 clicks on the rebound front and rear, came out 1/8 of a turn on high speed compression and the bike is starting to act like I want it to. It is still a bit more twitchy than a KX, but I think it can be cured. The one thing I did notice is that if you make a change to one end, you will have to adjust the other. One click makes a big difference. There is no doubt the bike can carve. All you need to do is think about turning and it comes right around. I will admit that the Honda seemed to turn a little better, but compared to my KX this thing can rail. I have not found an inside line that is a problem yet. I did have some problem keeping it in ruts, but it is getting easier as the suspension is breaking in and I am figuring out the clickers. I have noticed that in some sections the bike does twitch, but if you stay on the gas she will continue to track straight. So far the bike has absorbed any big hit, has great bottoming resistance. I think I have only bottomed the front once or twice.

Finally, the attention to details is outstanding. Yamaha engineers thought of every nut and bolt. The stopping power is great, brakes have a lot of touch and feel. The clutch felt notchy at first but seems to have broken in. The pull is like butter. The throttle is smooth and seems to be jetted fairly clean. It may be a tad rich in the middle, but nothing that a drop of the needle can not fix. I was really torn between te 02 CR or YZ. Aftr been on mine for a few weeks ad have ridden a CR, I think I made the right choice for my riding style. The blue bike is definitely a winner in '02.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I have to say the same thing about my '02 YZ125 the motor is awesome! its very broad for a 125 nice bottom snap pull excellent midrange hit great top end pull that you can just rev out. The suspension is awesome it felt harsh in the midstroke when new but now that is broken in its alot better the harshness went away. I can't fault the handling it craves the inside with ease and is stable enough for fast wide sweepers. I'm still messing with the jetting on my bike also, I have raised the needle one clip which did help. But I think the pilot is too rich on my bike. The attention to detail is execellent very much like my '01 CR better is some ways. You guys might want to ditch the stock tires I didn't like the way the d739 up front was. It made the bike feel wierd at times, Everyonce in awhile it felt like the front end was going to push or just slide out from under me. The rear is okay, but I think the front sucks especially if you ride on looser soils. Once I switch to a D755 front the handling come right in line and I have to say its just like my honda's was now much better with this tire. I'm very glad that I got rid of my '01 CR for the YZ.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
. You guys might want to ditch the stock tires I didn't like the way the d739 up front was. It made the bike feel wierd at times, Everyonce in awhile it felt like the front end was going to push or just slide out from under me.

I was thinking the same thing. I used the Dunlop 756 front and rear on my old bike and was planning on getting them for this one since they worked so well, just figured I would give these a shot first. This is definately one fine @$$ machine!:p

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001

FJP467

Nov 26, 2000
It is unanimous...I don't like the front tire either. I am going to be putting on 756's very soon. I must say that the back does seem to hook up on all of the tracks that I have been on. I am also sure it is more bike than tire. The756's should stick like velcro.

S. Speaks

Oct 11, 2001
02 YZ 250 Engine Case Flaws / Cracks

I agree with you guys that think the 02 YZ 250 rules. I bought a new one last month and was totally blown away with its awesome and electric feeling motor. I weigh around 220 pounds and the thing still scares me sometimes. The suspension is a little rigid but after riding it a little and some adjusting it’s pretty good. I’m no authority on suspension setup but I like the way my bike handles now. I did notice that the front tire seems like it wants to kick out but a good bit of that was cured with adjusting the front forks.

Anyway, the comment I have about it is that I discovered that it has like a flaw in the casting of the case on the left side above where the shaft comes out of the engine. There are some cracks running through the “flaw” and up to the holes where the case is bolted together. It doesn’t leak oil or anything but it looks like it could get worse in the future.
I took it back to the dealer and he said that it was a flaw and that Yamaha is good about fixing stuff like that even though there’s no warranty. He got the new case in from Yamaha and discovered it had the same exact “flaw” and cracks in it! He then contacted Yamaha whom told him that it was normal and that there wasn’t anything wrong. They said that it wouldn’t break any farther. He told me what had happened that I could see the new part for myself. I did and brought the bike back home. I asked him that if it broke in six months to a year would Yamaha be likely to fix it. He told me no!

Have any of you had this problem with your bikes? If so, what have you found out about it? Do you think it will lead to more serious problems? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:think

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Oh boy, don't tell me that! Hey, thanks for bringing that to light. I am gonna go take a look at mine tonight and let you guys know what it looks like. How can a crack be normal? That can't be too fair if they acknowledged that it's a flaw but yet they won't fix it if it starts to leak six months down the road...Let's keep our fingers crossed...

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The cases on my YZ125 are fine no visable flaws, in fact the cases are in better than the cases on my '01 CR125 was. The qwick release clutch cover on the bottom edge was all jagged edge like someone took a grinder to it. Plus other minor misc things with the CR the YZ doesn't have. I think its lame they know its a flaw and won't fix it down the road. Maybe its time to try and cash in on some free cases from the dealer if you can or go after market if possible.

FJP467

Nov 26, 2000
Hey S Speaks, thanks for the info. I checked mine and mine has it too. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow just to let them know that there is a potential problem and to see if they have heard anything from the factory. It does not look major, but you never know down the line what can happen. We all put these bikes through so much abuse, that a minor flaw can easily turn into a major problem.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
I checked mine last night and it look fine. I talked to my Dad and he said more than likely that it is just a casting flaw and it won't hurt a thing.

CHECK YOUR REAR SPROCKET BOLTS!!!

My buddy has the same bike and one of his backed out and shattered the sprocket, the hub, and ripped the chain guide right off the swing arm. It was nasty! But Yamamha stepped up to the plate and paid for it all! I am surprised that happened, they are self locking nuts...:think

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I wouldn't worry about the casting marks on the YZ. You guys sure get worked up easily. Mine has the same marks and they are not cracks, it only looks like it. If you were to look at the inside of the case I would bet you would see that they don't run all the way through. It is a mass produced machine you know. Yamaha is good about standing behind known problem areas. If it is a problem down the rode, you will hear about it.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
I am with Trackmaster, all you people getting 2002's are killing me. But my 1991 Honda XR250R is awesome, I wouldn't sell if for nothing. Awesome trail Bike. When I first rode my XR250R I put it in second gear and had the throttle about 1/2 way open and dumped the Clutch and boy was my as* hurting. But fmfkx125372 I am glad you like your bike. Hope you get better so you can rip that Bike through the trails. Congrats on your knew bike. Matt

Top Bottom