onethiryeight

Feb 6, 2005
I went to buy a new crf250 this weekend I was ready to buy the 05 when I was told that the 04 was the same bike just 2 pounds heavier but 1500.00 bucks cheaper. Is there that much diffrence between the 04 and 05 both bikes are brand new, Is the 05 is better on maintance ( valves and such) thanks in advance for any input. :cool:

B

biglou

You might check Honda's website. They should list what all the changes were for the new model. I know the Yamaha site details all their changes each year.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
couple of things, one they increased the thickness of the cylinder skirt for increased durability and I think that the 05 got the new forks with 2mm less offset. Unaware of valvetrain changes, but Lou is right (as always :) ) the Big H website should have all the details, as to whether it's worht 1500 more $ to ya, only you can answer that

B

biglou

I checked it out, they still have 04 and 05 model years up on the site. You can click "Specifications" for each model. Not sure if they have a list of changes made for this year like Yamaha does. I didn't see one.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
I own the 04 crf 250r and rode and I rode an 05 crf 250r once, I really didn't notice that big of a difference. I only did a few laps around the track though.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The cylinder head on the 2005 model has significant changes. The port floor has been raised, the short turn port radius has been increased, and the roof of the port was changed. The changes were made to increase port velocity and improve lowend power at the expense of some top end power after the torque peak.

I believe they also made changes to the ignition mapping.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The power of the 05 is alot better for 95% of riders than the 04-and the better turning means a tuned 04 isnt as good as a std 05 IMO.

Feb 7, 2005
Thanks for the input. Sounds like it might be worth it to get the 05. Are the stainless vaulves out for the 250 would it be wise to throw them in right off the bat ?
Thanks again

crf_racer_x

Feb 9, 2005
Get the 04 it is a dominator only what will happen is the year 2006 will come and your bike will be old any way so why buy an 05 for about a lil less than a grande more your only paying for the year get the 04 there greate

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
crf_racer_x said:
so why buy an 05

I believe this was already answered in this thread.

Rich Rohrich said:
The cylinder head on the 2005 model has significant changes. The port floor has been raised, the short turn port radius has been increased, and the roof of the port was changed. The changes were made to increase port velocity and improve lowend power at the expense of some top end power after the torque peak.

I believe they also made changes to the ignition mapping.

marcusgunby said:
The power of the 05 is alot better for 95% of riders than the 04-and the better turning means a tuned 04 isnt as good as a std 05 IMO.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I think what Rich said relates to what I heard, they got rid of the low end "hickup" off the start. I fixed mine with the needle and jets change, as well as getting rid of the dang smog pump, CA version of course.

Top Bottom