jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
I am coming back to the world of two strokes after a five year four stroke ride. Don't get me wrong, I like the 250f well, just don't want to deal with future maintenance costs, ie; my valves need shimmed. What about the 05 yz250 aside of the normal greasing and sag setting do I need to be aware of? I am putting a flywheel wieght on, either a 9 or 11 ounce. Any of you that have made the switch, feel free to let me know. It is winter here in Ohio and the only mx riding to be done is indoors.

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
I switched from both a 250f and a 450f to an 05 125 and 05 250. The biggest thing you need to be aware of is the change of powerband. The 2-strokes are quite jumpy at first and the front end is very light. Takes alittle to get used to. Dont kill yourself. Other than that if your as anal as I am you'll have to jet more frequently but it's 100x's easier on the 2-stroke since you dont have the throttle cable on one side and a hot start on the other. Just twist the carb and undo the bolt. You still have to change oil every 3-4 rides but it is alot easier than on a 4-stroke. No filter and the bolt is on the bottom.

Now if you do blow something up on the 2-stroke the head is like 200 bucks and the cylinder is about 300. On a 4-stroke it's over 1000 for everything.

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
Thanks Gonzo for the info. In reply to the maintenance costs, I was talking about the four stroke replacemnt costs concerning valves, springs, piston, etc. Not to mention what it will cost if anything lets loose suddenly. I rode the 250f like a two stroke.

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
Well you can ride the 250F like a 2-stroke but you can't ride the 250 like your rode the 250f like a 2-stroke. LOL. You still dont have cams spinning in the front of the bike or engine breaking. Those 2 things really make a difference. I am a revver on the 250F. I rode it like a frickin 125. I went through 3 clutches in a few months. I was bad. But getting on the 250 2-stroke scarred the crap out me. The first 2 days I thought I made a huge mistake. The power is very jumpy in comparison. Even hard to switch between a 450 and the 250 2-stroke. It's alot different and takes some time to get used to. I mean it's the best thing to be on these 2 strokes but it took me a little time to get used to them. Now I wouldnt change but I was nervous in the beginning.

Oh where do you ride indoors? You ever get up to Michigan?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
dont mind biglou, he's a little :coocoo:
he just hates 2 stokes :laugh:

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
We have two local tracks. One in Zanesville and one in Canal Winchester. Both in central OH. No I have not made it up to MC yet. I have heard about an awesome indoor track somewhere around central MC. I also want to ride the dunes at Silverlake- Jimyz

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Last year there was an indoor track somewhere around Logan Oh. Also I think you can rent out the track at Marion cty fairgrounds. Don't ride mx but do go to wayne and perry in the summer. Also we try to hit Hatfield and McCoy a couple time a year.

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
There's a track in Tecumseh which is off of US 23. It's called pro source suzuki. Alot of people from Ohio go there. It's only about 15 minutes north of Toledo.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
When I hopped off my WR250F back on my YZ250, I was amazed at the difference. I love the WR, don't get me wrong, but I found out very quickly just how much heavier and how much different the power delivery is. Keeping the YZ front end on the ground was something I literally had to concentrate on for the first couple rides. :eek:

I do miss the engine braking and the ability to lug the WR up hills and in tight sections, but am getting used to fanning the clutch on the YZ again.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
LOL, I went back, because a certain girl named "Squeaky" took a liking to the WR. :) Otherwise I would still be riding it.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I went from an '03 CRF450 to an '04 CRF250 to an '05 YZ250 2s. I also thought I made a mistake at first, since it was initially much harder to ride due to the very sensitive throttle response and lack of engine braking (I was overshooting corners at first). Also, having the engine hit on a jump face was kind of scary until I learned to manage the powerband!

Now that I'm used to it, I LOOOOVVE it so much! An 11oz. flywheel weight helped make the engine a lot easier to manage w/o hurting the power. Maintenance is so much easier than on the CRF's, too...oil change intervals are less frequent, and are much quicker and cleaner.

The YZ feels so "alive" vs. the four strokes, which now have a somewhat dead feel to me (and I was a dedicated thumperholic before buying this bike). It feels even lighter than the 250 thumpers (blue and red) I've ridden, and handles/feels great. Sure I'm biased, but it's the ultimate bike for me!

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
I am kind of in the same situation as you jimyz, I ride a 250f(crf)and I am sick of the maintenance issues. I am planning on making the switch to a two stroke in the spring. I don't know if I should buy a 125 or 250, I am starting to drive my self insane over the decision. As of right not though I am leaning toward the 05 yz125, but I am sure I will change my mind again.One thing I am worried about is that I may be a little big for the 125, I am 6' tall and weight around 170lbs. without gear, what do you guys think?

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
Lonewolf, you definitely need the 250. After riding the 250f, I feel you will not like the power delivery of a 125...always having to stay on the pipe and such...yes you are a little big for 125 although I think it would do. I am 6' and probably 165 lbs with gear and I love the power of the 250. There are few weekend worriors that are faster than me.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
I rode my friends 04 yz250 a few times. The first time I rode it I was just in an open field and liked it, but the next time I rode it I took it out on the track, It really scared me when it would hit the powerband on the face of a jump. The 250 also wore me out pretty quick, I got extreme arm from trying manage the abrupt power. I have also been concidering 04 ktm 200sx, I rode one and it had a lot more bottom end than a 125 has, It was like a 125/250 hybrid. The knock with the 200sx is that they have a harsh suspension but I really didn't notice because I only rode a few laps on it and took it easy, I didn't want to wreck someone else's bike.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
Lonewolf, a flywheel weight fixes most of the problems w/ the power you noted...it made all the difference in the world to make mine more manageable and less fatiguing!

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
Spine_Thrust said:
Lonewolf, you definitely need the 250. After riding the 250f, I feel you will not like the power delivery of a 125...always having to stay on the pipe and such...yes you are a little big for 125 although I think it would do. I am 6' and probably 165 lbs with gear and I love the power of the 250. There are few weekend worriors that are faster than me.

I weigh 185 and I ride the 05 125 with no problems. Actually I am quite a bit faster on the bike than I was on my 250F. Mainly due to corner speed. If your a revver and stay on the power the bike is fine. You can't lug this bike but I never lugged my 250F either. 3rd and 4th gear are incredibly fast on the bike. It doesnt have the low end grunt of the 250f but it has alot of power. Alot more than any other 125 I have ever ridden. If you havent ridden the bike then you have no idea what I am talking about. Alot people think its slow that havent ridden it just because its a 125, its not. It puts out 1 whole peak hp more than a 250f does it just drops off about 2k sooner so you have to shift sooner. Also it's lighter than anything else out there. 20lbs less than a 250f. You cant even tell your on a bike.

Now the 05 YZ250 is God's gift to moto. Tons of power everywhere and is also very light. It feels alot lighter than my 250F even felt. Doesnt feel much heavier than my 125.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Lonewolf said:
I am starting to drive my self insane over the decision.

A lot of us go through the trials of bike decisions. I have decided that I need one of every colr in the garage, but my pocketbook doesn't think so. When I first switched back, the vibration felt like my arms were going to fall of, not to mention the jitteryness of the bike. After a few rides on the track, it started feeling a bit more comfortable. I even enjoy how I can whip the bike somewhat. I could also tell a big difference when loading the bike in the truck. I can relate to the "dead" feeling of the thumper, but I also appreciate the predictable throttle response and I can dive deeper in the corners with the compression braking. I too overshot corners at first, but you'll begin to feel comfortable in no time.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
I never really lugged around my 250f's either, it always felt awkward if I did so I got into the habit of screaming them a bit. I am still leaning toward the yz125, the ktm 200sx was nice but there are very few dealers around here and the 250 is just going to have more power than I would ever really need. My friend had an 11oz. flywheel weight for his yz250 and said it didn't do much to manage the hit, he said it helped him from stalling though. He actually sold the yz250 and bought an 05 kx125 and is much faster on it. I think I should refine my skills on the 125 before I go with the 250. If the tracks were bigger around here and had a nice flow to them I would concider the 250 because I could use the power effectively, but the mx tracks I have access to ride at are tight sx type stuff.

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
Just made the switch back also. I have race a 01 yz 250f for that past the years (A enduro rider) and loved the bike. I then decided to retire "nellie" at the beginning of this past spring and got an 04 crf 250, then midway switch to a 450, broke my leg ankle and the first thing I did when i could ride was get a yz 250! I just wanted the change. Well I got it alright. It's been a huge change but everytime I get out in the woods and change the setup I like it more and more. At first I thought my clutch was draggin cause every turn i went into the bike just kept going. Then i realized it was the lack of compression brakeing. Now I'm getting used to the zap of the power in the woods. Coming out of turns you have to work harder on the 2 stroke. A four stroke just pulled where I'm clutching a little more. I know i'll get used to it. I believe the 250 2 stroke is the ultimate woods weapon bar none. But it takes someone is in awesome shape and ready to be aggressive the whole day of the h/s or enduro. But it's a challenge i wanted to make. The more i get my strength back in my leg my condition gets better and i seem to ride this bike better. My next bike will be a 2 stroke again.

Mark

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
so what i am hearing is when i get out the first few weeks in a couple months, i will think i made a huge mistake. i will overshoot turns, jumping will feel awkward, i will think cornering was easier on the 250f, power will be unpredictable but the bike will feel lighter. i haven't got it yet, but still think it is the way to go, this will take some serious adjustment. from what i hear, it will be hard but worth it in the long run, maybe i should keep my 250f just in case? 0 0 0 for a year maybe? jimyz

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
It will only take you a couple rides to get used the 250 2-stoke. Cornering will be easier right off the bat. Power is not unpredictable but there's a lot of it.

Feb 28, 2004
Maybe I can help you make up your mind. :) I have an 03 YZ250 which I love. Love is an understatement. This bike is awesome! I havent ridden it in a while because it has been cold here, and we had rain on and off, and also with the holiday. I was never really home much, too busy shopping and getting ready for the holiday. Anyway, last night I was in my room watching TV after we all had finished eating. I look over at the clock and its 8pm, and I start thinking, Im gonna take the YZ out for a quick ride. :laugh: It was kind of late, and it was Christmas Eve, but I didnt care, I had to go ride it, it has been too long since the last ride! I rolled it out of the garage onto the driveway and fired it up after a few kicks. The sound of the motor was music to my ears all over again. I warmed it up good and took off down my street. The power is awesome, the front wheel comes up in the first three gears with so much ease. Did I mention I love this bike?? I know I shouldnt be riding it on the street, but where else was I to go 8pm at night? It is just a sick bike as far as power goes. Naturally it feels even better when its cold out, than compared to a 90 degree summer day. It just goes from bottom to top. No dead spots on this baby, and mine is 100% bone stock, right down to the stickers. My friend has an 01 CR250 and we are supposed to get together and do a drag race cause I keep telling him how sick my bike is and how fast it feels. He keeps saying how his is fast too. I know his is fast and powerful also, I have ridden it, but I dont think its like mine, but we are gonna have to see one of these days. True drag racing means nothing, but me and him just have a thing for speed. He has a 2002 Corvette Z06 and I have a 1997 Camaro SS and we always toy around, naturally the Z06 is faster, but I think my YZ will beat his CR. :laugh: Mike :yeehaw:

Top Bottom