Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
Ok, I finally have a spark on my vintage DT1. Can anyone suggest a way to set the timing? The bike has no battery. All the electrics are removed except the black wire off the alternor that runs to the coil. The other leads still come off the generator, but only the black is connected to anything. The only time there is juice is when I kick it. With no juice in the system, how can I tell when the points are opening so I can set the timing? Can I attach a battery to one of the other leads to power up the system long enough to check it? Surely someone has faced this before. Any help would be appreciated.

Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
The dial gauge I understand. I have to pull the head the get the correct distance before top dead center (3.2mm), so I figured to substitute my digital caliper. But what's a "buzz box." Most of my experience with bikes with points has been street bikes with batteries and I set timing with a timing light. I'm on unfamiliar turf here..... Thanks for your response.

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
A buzz box is a rather obsolete electrical device that uses a "buzzer or squealer" to indicate that the points are opening or closing. I have not looked for one in while , but I'm sure they are still available somewhere. I saw one in a Race car magazine for use in setting magneto points and they wanted $60. I had a buddy who made them for sale, and he got $40.00. He retired, moved and got lost. I'll try to find him.
OD

Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
Thanks. If he isn't interested in making one, perhaps he can tell me how he makes them and I could fabricate something. I'm wondering if I could use a continuity tester to tell when the circuit is complete. But I have to check it without pulling the flywheel, since the flywheel has to be installed for the points to open at all. Not much room to work with there, through the little gaps in the flywheel....

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
Buzz box.

All you have to do is to hook one of the leads to the hot wire running to the coil,the other lead to ground and the buzz box will read the points opening and closing from there.

I just checked www.kowatools.com and they wany $94.00+ for their buzz box "ignition tester" ,,,,yikes!!!!!

OD

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
you could also use a volt/ohm meter with a audible continuity circuit.
Or just read the meter.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
well, if you really need to borrow one, pm me.
Borrow means that, btw.
I also have the complete yamaha dial indicator kit.
All the factory kit for the price of shipping... :ride:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom