Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
OK, top end rebuilt, new wheel bearings, new brakes, replacement tires, carb thoroughly cleaned, new points. So I'm ready to fire it up and..... No spark. Nothing. Nada. It has no battery, but when I kick it holding a multitester to the wires off the stator I get nothing. No juice off either coil, either the source coil to the plug nor the coil that feeds the lights and accessories. Not that it has lights or accessories, but if I had juice there I at least would know what to look for. I pulled the stator and took it apart. I cleaned all the mounts for the power colis, cleaned the inside of the flywheel. Cleaned all the places where parts screw together and cleaned the back of the stator plate just in case it is a grounding issue. Nothing. The soldering on the coils looks OK during a visual inspection. It seems to be a grounding issue since I have no juice at all, but I don't know where this system is supposed to ground. My Clymer manual is no help whatsoever. Does anybody know where the electrical system on one of these old bikes grounds? Any other ideas why I'm getting no power? I didn't change the condenser yet, since the condenser has to be soldered in, but I've never heard of a bad condenser shorting out an entire electrical system. Is there a way to check continuity in the stator without any juice whatsoever? Any suggestions will be thoroughly pursued...Thanks in advance.

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
grounding

I have a 73 dt1 and I belive that the ground is under the gas tank. Also, I had similar trouble with one of the wires going to the coil. The break was a connection behind the plate and and covered by the old shrink tubing.

Top Bottom