Jun 14, 2005
Hey all.
I have a 1985 ktm 250mxc. i know a little about this bike but i wanna know more. does anyone have any information on this bike? if so please share with me anything you know. some of its downfalls its posotives and everything else you know. thanks for any information i may get.
chris

Jun 14, 2005
well i want to know anything abou the bike. what problems they have what goes out on them. any specs on the bike. basically anything anyone knows about the bikes. thanks for theinformation you may give me.
chris

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Does your bike have upside down forks and a front disc brake? I had an '84 KTM 250 MXC and loved it. The only thing that I didn't like was the brakes since it had drums front and rear. I did a lot of work to make sure that the brakes were working to the best of their ability. I raced the bike in the Mid-South Hare Scrambles series back in the early '90s. Power wise and suspension wise, it was a great bike, but I needed better brakes.

I replaced the stock pipe with one from Dyno-port and that seemed to help spread the power out some. I also replaced the seat with different foam and cover, but I can't remember the name of the company that made the seat.

It was a great bike though. I really liked it. Of all the mid-80's vintage bikes that I owned, this was the best one. That list included: '84 KTM 250 MXC, '85 Husky WR125, '85 Husky WR250, '86 Husky 250WR, and '89 Cagiva WMX250.

Jun 14, 2005
Yes, my bikes got front disk brakes and upside down forks. i like my bike the only problem ive had with it is the steering stem bearings(thats what the book called them) got bad and i replaced them, and the ignition is currently not sparking. I took off the cover and a bunch of water poured out...... i guess i shouldnt have crossed that beaver pond eh? but im thinking if i pull off the flywheel and clean all the connections it should work, i hope. And may i ask what you mixed your bike at? i am mixin it at 40:1. is that to rich? or to lean? i know thats about the standard or what most people mix theirs at. And do you have any thing else you can tell me about the bike? Or dose anyone know anything about it? I am new to ktm and i have only had this bike for about 5 months. and befor this bike i have had several others a 1985 honda cr125, a 1979 kawasaki kd100 (fun little bike), a 1974 dt100 (the toughest little bike i have ever seen) and a few others that i used as parts bikes. thanks for any help
chris.

Jun 14, 2005
Ok.. so now i have another problem. My ignition is bad now. Does anyone know wehre i can get a motoplat ignition or a replacement for this bike? ive been looking around on the internet and the only one i can find is i think the pvl and it costs $335 or so. anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for help.
chris

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
Motoplat is out of buisness. For new, PVL is the way to go. The only other option is finding a used Motoplat. Most of those stators (and virtually all of the coils) were the same so a used one could be found without much work.

Jun 14, 2005
Well i have been looking around for the ignition. i called my local ktm dealer to see if they had any or a way of getting them and i was told that the only way i can get one is from a junk yard. but i dont want to get an old used one thats probably gonna cause me problems. i would like to get a new replacement. i have seen pvl befor on the internet. but never did i see any where to buy them. do you know where i can get one? im gettin frusterated and desperate. please help me!
thanks
chris

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
I had an '85 250 MXC, I liked it, except that the little floater washers in the front disk gave me some trouble, & I hated the double-leading shoe rear. I finally blew it up, had pieces of piston ring blowing out the exhaust, but the d____d thing never quit running! Well, until it threw the rod & crunched the whole engine (but my bike had been mx'd, hard, by the previous owner). I sold it as is, where is, to the dealer & bought a Yamaha that I REALLY hated, but that is another story.

Anyway, to answer your question, Letko KTM in Kansas City or H & H in Atlanta are known for carrying old parts. You can get teir contact info off the KTM website.

pbspecial

Jun 30, 2005
You can also try Oakland Sports Center in Michigan (248.673.3366) Dewayne has a lot of older stuff as well. My old ridin buddy used to have one of these, very fast, decent suspension, great woods bike - horrible brakes, especially the rear. He also had the Dyno Port pipe whcih really made the bike more rideable. I'll look around, I may have some old parts laying around for that thing.

Jun 14, 2005
well thanks for the help. i got the ignition off proflows web site and its the pvl ignition. Man that was expensive cost me almost 400 dollars. but i also have the lil rings on the front disk brakes that are lose. i dont know what to do about it so ive just ignored it so far. anything i can do? and yeah the back brakes arent the best. but they will work for what i do. im the type who enjoys trail riding. thats why i got the heavier weight for the pvl ignition. if anyone else has any suggestions on wh at to do to the bike or any help at all please let me know. like i said ive only had this bike for a few months and its my first ktm. thanks everyone.
chris

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
the front disc is a floting type and they wiggle a bit. you can replace the mounting rivets if they are worn (if you can still find some). actually, you may be able to take the rivets and turn them 90 degrees each and get it a bit tighter but, like i said, they rattle.

bearwash

Dec 2, 2005
I've purchased '84 parts and manuals from VintageSpeedy (Helmut Clasen) on ktmtalk. If anyone knows about those bikes, it's him.

I guess I can't insert hyperlinks here but you can search for the "Brought home an old 125 MX (LOTSA PICS), 1984" on ktmtalk by bearwash.

You can find the info there to get a hold of Helmut.

Top Bottom