cp5899

Dec 18, 2006
I just bought the bike and it has very weak spark but most of the time doesn't have spark. It has been sitting for years because the owner got hurt on it years ago. Its in mint condition and doesn't have over 10 hours on it. Any ideas what could be the problem? Did this year bike have problems? Coil, stator, cdi, etc??

I got a SUPER deal on the bike so I couldn't pass it up. It still has the tits on the original tires....the bike is mint!

Thanks for the help.

Also anyone know were I can download a copy of the service manual for this bike?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
20 dollar plug

That bike is special! Sounds like the damage is done,that bike takes a special plug and its exspensive. If that is what messed up your electrics not for sure. Get the right plug for starters and then check spark.

cp5899

Dec 18, 2006
Thanks guys...I think you are on to something because I went into the garage last night and took the tank off to see if I could see any bare wires or anything obvious that would stick out. While I had it apart I took the plug out and tried kicking it to ckeck for spark. Well it had none, so I figured I would start with the easy stuff so I took the spark plug boot off to check for good contact. Then I thought might as well try a new plug (even though it had a new looking plug in it) because I don't think he had the right one in it. That being said I took a new b8es (I know its the wrong plug, but just wanted to check spark with a different plug) and tried it to see what would happen. To my surprise it started to spark when you kick it over so I'm going to get the right plug from the suzuki shop this morning.

On a side note when I had it all apart I was AMAZED at how clean this bike is. I can't believe the deal I came across on it and if turns out the guy had the wrong plug in it that will be AWESOME!!

Thanks again guys!

cp5899

Dec 18, 2006
Update

Still haven't gotten the bike going. It seems to have interminttent spark so I wondering if the cdi could be the problem. I'm just having a hard time believing its something as serious as a cdi or stator due to the bikes low hours. I can't find a online manual for this thing anywhere. I don't want to start buying parts with out doing testing, but I don't have the ohm readings for this bikes cdi or stator and my local dealer say they can't give that info out......JERKS!! I've bought 5 brand new bikes from them and no help....won't be buying anything from them again!

Any help is appreciated!

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
Is the plug wire making good contact with the metal housing that connects to the plug. I have a few bikes one older XR and one KDX 200 that didn't spark and the cure was as easy as a little electrical tape

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
The CDI doesn't go bad just sitting. My guess would be possible rust under the coil. Take the coil off and use sandpaper where the coil touches the frame. Also you may want to check the impulse pickup coil next to the flywheel sometimes a little rust will stop it from picking up a good reading when the flywheel comes around.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Keep it simple?

Take the coil and narrow your search, it is easier to start here and cheaper.I wish I could help you with testing its resistance , but I'm not proficiant in electrics! I have seen the cdi unit do some really weird things, running that model without the correct plug is NOT recommended! By the way, the forks on that bike are THE closest to a pair of FACTORY forks you can get! Revalved value @ 5500.

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
I had a problem with my 01 rm250 that I spent a long time troubleshooting, and I work on Aircraft electronics. My bike would push start well and run perfectly, but it wouldn't kick start. When kicked over the spark wasn't strong enough. I have the manufacturers manual, and all the voltages were in spec as were the ohms. So I started changing the cheapest things first. After spending several hundred on the "cheap" stuff, I spent the 350 on a new CDI, which finally fixed it. All I can say is good luck.

racquetmaster

Dec 24, 2006
Rm 250

I have a 2000 RM 250 and I have the same problem I replaced the source coil and the bike is really hard to start and has on and off again spark did you find your problem

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Remove the kill switch from the harness and test the spark. Simple, but a shorting kill switch will have you pulling your hair out. As said before, sand all grounds and clean all connections to assure good coductivity. Some dielectric grease helps too.

The next step would be "OHM-ing" your electronics. If you have a buddy with a similar bike you can componant interchange.

My 03 RM250 calls for an expensive plug too. I use a BR8ES or BR8EG. The "R" stands for resistor, this is what safe guards your CDI. The "expensive plugs" are resister plugs with "exotic metal" electrodes.

Good luck, Steve.

Top Bottom