2001 KX65 - Automatic Clutch Question

pdhj1990

Dec 9, 2005
I just purchased a used 2001 KX65 for my 9 year old son. The bike came with an automatic clutch, in addition to the stock clutch.

Although the bike is in outstanding condition, the automatic clutch slips a little. Before I take the bike to the shop or re-install the stock clutch, does anyone have any suggestestions to minimize the slipping?

Paul

pdhj1990

Dec 9, 2005
2001 KX65-Automatic Clutch Question

I just purchased a used 2001 KX65 for my 9 year old son. The bike came with an automatic clutch, in addition to the stock clutch.

Although the bike is in outstanding condition, the automatic clutch slips a little. Before I take the bike to the shop or re-install the stock clutch, does anyone have any suggestestions to minimize the slipping? :)

Paul

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
NO, but I recommend going with the stock clutch and teaching him how to use it, rather than crippling his riding ability with the auto. That is, unless there is some valid reason that he can't learn to operate the clutch, in which case you should re-evaluate your decision to let him ride (or ride such a powerful machine). This is my opinion, and mine alone. I am positive that there are those among us that will disagree.

pdhj1990

Dec 9, 2005
Automatic Clutch Slipping

I recently purchased a used 2001 KX65 for my 9 year old son. The bike came with an automatic clutch, in addition to the stock clutch.

Although the bike is in outstanding condition, the automatic clutch slips in the low end of the power band. Before I take the bike to the shop or re-install the stock clutch, does anyone have any suggestestions to fix/minimize the slipping? :bang:

Paul

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you'll need to put new frictions in it. contact berg the guys that made the clutch and they can hook you up. if your fairly mechanical its not too hard to handle.

But along the lines of what was already said most kids take to shifting pretty quickly and the auto clutch is INCREDIBLY hard on the bike. lugs on takeoff and ends up being ridding at max RPM most of the way around the track. Its better to just spend the time learning the clutch up front or as soon as possible once you get throttle control and braking down. Not trying to be harsh but trying to save you some $$$ down the road. The kawasaki's are sort of know for eating cranks and running around at max RPM when you really need to shift just amplifies this situation.

headbanger

May 7, 2000
I picked up a RM65 for my son this spring, his last bike was a KTM Pro automatic.
This is his first shift & clutch bike. I made a carb. slide limiter so he could only go 1/2 throttle. I had him practice easing out the clutch while in a ditch with both feet on the ground. He would let the clutch out till it would grab for about 1-2 feet. Then he would pull the clutch in and rock back. He did this a few times to get the hang of it.
Then he took off and will not ride the KTM automatic anymore! like the other guy's said don't give him a crutch! Kid's learn fast, IF they want to! He is now racing Enduro's in the PeeWee class on some pretty technical trails and is having a blast!

pdhj1990

Dec 9, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. I put the stock clutch back in the bike and my son had no problem. That was until he blew up the engine.

My son rapped the bike out in third gear without shifting. Then the piston froze. BUMMER :(

Now I have to have the engine rebuilt. Oh, well.

I do have an automatic clutch for sale. It's in great shape. Any takers?

Paul

Top Bottom