2002 CR250 base gasket -which way is up?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Hey everyone,

I'm in urgent need of some assistance. I'm in the process of putting my top end back together and I'm not sure which way is up on the base gasket. Both sides have some silicone sealer on them, but one has rings around some coolant passage ports and the other doesn't. I'm not sure if they go up or down. Neither the Service Manual nor the Owner's Manual specify which way is up. Any ideas?

Along the same lines, has anyone used that spray "copper coat" stuff on the base gaskets? Good idea or bad?

Please help me go from this :bang: to this :ride:

Thanks much for the help.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
OK, I'm an idiot. The gasket can only go one way due to the dowel pins. I hate it when I overlook the obvious.

I'm still interested in opinions on the copper coat stuff, however.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have used the copper coat on head and exhaust gaskets. Very good stuff. I don't think that you should need it on the base though, and it makes removal a lot more difficult. It definately sticks the stuff together, and keeps it stuck.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
If Honda thought the gasket needed anything else on it, they would have put it on(like the 'silicone sealer').

That's if the gasket is OEM. Cometic makes a nice gasket and I feel that applies to their's as well.

my .02

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I use the copper coat on my base gaskets. Makes them easier to remove in my opinion. You don't end up having to scrape gasket pieces off of your cylinder or cases. my .02

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Well, it's too late now as the top end is assembled. I put it on dry and didn't have any leaks so this will have to wait until the next top end is due.

More importantly, this pile of bits is starting to look like a bike again! :)

Top Bottom