rschwing

May 15, 2002
I live in Denver, Colorado and am considering buying an 2002 XR650R and am being
told by my Honda Dealership that I should replace the following:

Intake Manifold - They say it is too restrictive. But on XR's Only Web page, under
the XR650R link, it says that this is only a requirement for the
California models. Do I need to replace it? If yes, with which
one, if more than one.

Needle Jet - I will be riding mostly in the 6,000' to 9,000' elevations. Which
Needle Jet should I get?

Main Jet - Again, riding mostly in the 6,000' to 9,000' elevations, Which
Main Jet should I get?

Exhaust Baffle - They say it is too restrictive. Do I need to replace this? If yes,
with which one?

What other modifications should be made to this bike?

Thank you in advance.

pontiac

May 9, 2002
There's a forum called "Thumper Central" here on DRN that might be better suited for your future questions. Just FYI.

Even the bikes from Colorado come with the restrictive intake manifold, but it's an inexpensive and easy part to replace. In terms of part numbers and more XR650R information, also check out the following links for more info...

http://www.xr650r.net/nonepa.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xr650r
http://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=9

If you're looking for jetting idea's for your riding location, check out this table to get you going in the right direction.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/files/XR650R Jetting Info 091901.txt

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by rschwing
Didn't know which Forum applied, so I put it in a few.

Please don't do that. Just post it in the one forum where you think it fits, if we feel the need to move your post we'll send you a PM with a link to the new location.

Thanks.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
I dont know if we should be promoting xr650.net the greenies would have a field day. come on if you can afford to ride bikes, you can afford to improve performance without taking emissions parts off or drilling them out. When I was a kid I was a baffle remover, but all it did was help me get kicked out of places. I suppose the noise might have made me think the bike was faster.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Keith....the "uncorking" of parts on the XR is even recommended by Honda. Here, try this. Take your 500, and slap a 22mm carb on it. Then, stuff a rag in the airbox and a cork in the silencer. Then you'll have an idea of what its like to ride a stock XR650R.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
ok geez sorry since honda reccomends "uncorking" everything why dont they do it at the factory. Im not trying to start anything here, I just know how some people can blow things completely out of proportion, (like a greenie who pulls up a web page that shows a drill removing part of a muffler). Im not one of those people I just enjoy the sport and I thnk we (motorcycle riders) have enuogh against us already. i could care less if you run yr bike with no head pipe. i dont want to argue with anyone on 2 wheels :aj:

pontiac

May 9, 2002
Originally posted by rennym
Doesn't Honda have the $999 power up kit that makes this bike a monster?
RM

Yes and maybe No.

I've talked to a number of people who have the full HRC installed and have heard varying opinions. The one point they they all agree on is the bike will definetly feel faster 40 - 80MPH. I've heard some people tell me they felt the HRC kit added power everywhere in the RPM range while others have told me their bike didn't feel as strong down low as it did with the the power up kit (uncorked). From the comments I've heard, the kit seems ideally suited to motard, dual sporting and lots of fast pace desert riding, but it may not be ideally suited for everyone, especially those who mostly use the bike for trail riding. The very reasonably priced power up kit (less than $160) that uncorks the bike makes a very signifcant difference and that alone makes the bike way more fun to ride. If you're still looking for more power beyond the power up kit, you may want to check into an aftermarket piston/cam kit, which can offer you more power while being significantly less expensive than the full HRC kit.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
The parts that are replaced do not increase the exhaust emissions. They are there solely to accomodate the ridiculous California emmisions standards. the XR650r runs like a 125cc moped with the restricitors in place and they cause the bike to overheat. You need to replace the intake manifold and the exhaust basffle with the less restrictive Honda repalcements. When my XR650R had overheating problems, Honda replaced these parts for free under warranty with the less restrictive parts and the bike was transformed. Honda advises to go 4 steps richer on the main jet and 2 steps richer on the pilot jet at sea level when you do these mods. if you are riding at 6,000 to 9,000 feet , you might not have to go up that much.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
At those altitudes, 165 main jet would be OK, or at least a good place to start. The stock pilot should be fine, last summer on vacation I was riding around the same elevation, and it ran great with the stock pilot. The needle that comes in the kit is richer than the stock needle, so I'd guess you would be alright with the stock one.

rennym:

The "Power Up" motor kit includes an 11:1 piston, different cam, stronger cam chain and a gasket kit. Team Honda's desert guys are claiming the kit is good for 10hp over the stock uncorked bike. If thats true, that puts it right around 60hp at the rear wheel.

pontiac:

I'm surprised by some of those opinions. But, I would have to agree the genuine Honda motor kid is ridiculously over-priced.

Last edited:

pontiac

May 9, 2002
Originally posted by keith500r
...since honda reccomends "uncorking" everything why dont they do it at the factory...

Some people are completely happy with with the stock bike, but Honda offers the Power Up Kit for the XR650R as a factory option for those who want more power from their bikes. The "Power Up Kit" that Honda sells is the same thing that we're talking about here when "Uncorking" this bike. All these parts can be ordred from a Honda dealer individualy or as a kit in addition to buying them at an aftermarket shop that sells factory OEM parts. If you look at the web page I listed earlier.....http://www.xr650r.net/nonepa.html.....there are factory Honda part numbers listed for all the parts and modifying the stock parts was mentioned as an alternative way to make the stock parts function similar to the parts in the Power Up Kit if you wanted to save some money.

Here are the Honda part numbers that make up the Power Up Kit:

16211-MBN-640 (Insulator, Carb)
18317-MBN-640 (Exhaust Tip)
99105-MBN-0680 (68s Pilot Jet)
99101-357-1750 (Main Jet 175)
16012-MBN-641 (B53E Needle set)

In addition to these parts, you will also have to remove the "user removable" air box resctrictions that are meant to be removed for this application. The jetting in this kit was for specific riding conditions, so you will obviously have to choose the correct jetting for your riding location. Please note that the Power Up Kit is different than the HRC kit, which is yet another option offered by Honda. The HRC kit is Honda's full on race kit that includes a new cam, piston, etc.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Install the exhaust and intake uncork kit. No need to buy the new needle and 175 main jet unless you want them for desert elevations.

Put in a 165 main. Run your OEM needle in third clip. Run a 68S pilot. Run a 1.6 KX500 rad cap.

The above jetting works great at 7,000' elevation........

BTW, I went down as low at 158-160 mains for running above 10,000' in the san juans...

Oh ya, check your right footpeg bolts, kickstarter bolts,.....

Shock and fork oil will need replacing right away. Run the lightest oil possible in the forks and consider removing the first shim in the fork stack to improve performance in the woods.

rennym

Jun 19, 2000
I had read the magazine article on the fastest dirtbike tests. They had a KX500, XR650, KTM 520, and a Husaberg. Running on a flat lakebed, both ways for the average. The XR won, but admittedly, they could have gone on forever with the gearing changes, etc.

When they described the Honda XR mods, they said they used the $999 power up kit, but they didn't use the high comp piston as it hurts the top end revs. Essentially that was all they did to the motor. They said the high comp piston would be excellent in anything except what they were doing.

RM

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Originally posted by rschwing
Is the removing the Stock Muffler Tip a recommended alternative to purchasing the replacement Muffler Tip?

Not a real good idea. The bike will no longer have a spark arrestor, plus it will be extremely loud.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Originally posted by rennym
When they described the Honda XR mods, they said they used the $999 power up kit, but they didn't use the high comp piston as it hurts the top end revs. Essentially that was all they did to the motor. They said the high comp piston would be excellent in anything except what they were doing.

Interesting. I wonder if the HRC cam would create a loss of low-mid power when used with the stock 10:1 piston.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Ah, I see what you're saying now.....I thought by removing the exhaust tip you meant completely unbolting the end of the pipe and running without it. Sorry for the confusion.

You must be talking about the drilling of the stock tip, as seen at xr650r.net? If you do that, then the bike will still be s/a legal--you're just drilling out a baffle. Yes, it is an alternative to buying the new exhaust insert. However, it does not flow as good as the Power Up part.

Top Bottom