intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
I am fairly new to MX and the 02 yz suspension. I am practicing at my local mx track not looking for a career, but just some good times.. Anyhoo. i would like some input on the yz suspension. Is there some things that would be good to do from the very beginning. I weight 175 and am a average rider, 34 years old. I mostly ride the the tracks and some trails on occasions. The front suspention feels kinda harsh and I will probably be going over the manual and setting it up with that. Is there anything I should watch out for or buy before I even mess with it...
Thanks for your time
Zig

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
intmach get yourself a manual and read about how to set it up also theres alot of good info here . I set up quite a few of these for people of your ability and stature . The stock fork oil is pretty thick and after changedout with a good 5 wt the forks feel better. Spring are in the hunt for your size . maybe a litle preload on the front . Maybe get your stuff serviced or find a local shop to setup for you . You shoulnt need anything drastic . You know what I see going bad on the Yams is the shock bearings and steering head bearings if they havent been greased you should take the time. Also the little plastic shock buffer that bolts to the bottom of the airbox can get stuck in the tire treads and get ripped up and thayt will let mud and dirt into the shock area . Try pushing the bike backward with mud on the tire and youll see what I mean . If youre in Illinois i cant reccomend a better shop than MX TECH .Hes got a really great YZ setup that was raved in a few magazines. Plus he does track support in your areas. He goes to Joliet and Casey alot. Good Luck

intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
Thanks,
I am going to dive into it this weekend.. Can anyone tell me the the shock & fork manufacturer and type on my bike.(02yz250).. Thanks

Zig

Upon further reveiw they are kayaba's.. Thanks anyways

Last edited:
Top Bottom