Whisper

Nov 17, 2002
I am really interested in the 200SX, it sounds like a perfect blend between a 125s screaming top-end and a 250s low-end torque, with the tossable weight of a 125. Anybody here have one?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Ive never even seen one here in Denmark!My dealer told me he had an 03 on order.One problem is that we have a minimum weight limit on all classes,and the 200 is too light to run in the 250 class..........

Whisper

Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by viking20
the 200 is too light to run in the 250 class..........
There are no displacement restrictions in the vet class. As I am no longer a spring chicken, the vet class suits me perfectly. I normally ride a 250, because 125s just don't have enough "ooomph" for me, but I really love the light weight of 125s. That's the reason I'm so interested in the 200SX. 125 class weight, but nearly the power and torque of a 250. Seems like a dream come true to me.

I wonder what the differences are between the SX and the MXC? Maybe a conversion would work...a bit of suspension work, maybe a bit of porting...hmmm...maybe I have a project in the making with this.

Whisper

Nov 17, 2002
A thought just occured to me. I wonder how dificult it would be to fit a 200 top-end to a 125SX? Aren't the engines identical?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Originally posted by marcusgunby
viking do you remember when they used to fill the frame tubes with lead on the GP bikes to get past the weight limits??
Yep,and an extra chain in the airbox for the morning check....... ;)

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
BTW,the Vets here can run what they like,too.The relatively small number of riders in a small country like ours,makes it neccesary for the bike to be legal in the 250 class to be brought to the country!Our rules doesnt allow weight to be added...........

Whisper

Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by marcusgunby
No its a very hard conversion.
What makes it so difficult? Is the stroke different? If so, that just means swapping the crank along with the cylinder, right? Or are there substantial differences in the cases?

Maybe it would be easier to just convert a 200MXC to SX trim...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The 200 has a different crank/ignition/exhaust and a fair few other parts-i cant remember exactly but its works out cheaper to buy a second hand 200 and swap the engines over.
The MXC? do they still make them??even then it will be a substantial amount of money and i dont think you get the top notch suspension on any model but the SX.I think a EG 144 kit on the 125sx would be a far wiser option.

GBKTM

Nov 13, 2001
Letko Cycles in Kansas City Ks. has a 200SX on the floor.
even the pipe is like the 125 SX not at all like the low slung pipes on a exc or mxc. looks like a good bike. my 200 exc has been a great bike.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
WhiPit,
Please post back when you get the SX. I'm trying to decide between the 200 SX, EXC and I'm even considering a YZF250!! So any info would be greatly appreciated.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Well, you probably couln't go wrong with the 250F.......I mean, it did win MXA's 125 shootout.
So having said that, why am I getting a 200? Well I guess the thought of having "almost" the power of a 250 in a 125-type frame is intriguing to me.
I'll certainly let everyone know what I think of it!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I had a close encounter with one last night, it looks like the 125 except for the pipe and the new rear plastics. I asked my bud what he thought of the power compared to his '02 125 sx & 02 250sx. Just said that it had more power off the bottom/mid and better torque more like the 250 but it ran more like the 125. He just got it and watching him whip it around the arenacross track over triples it must feel and be pretty darn light. It looks about as big as the 125 and the pipe doesn't stick out as bad as it looks. Surprizingly its tucked it quite well and its more throaty sounding like a 250.

kx137

Jul 1, 2002
Hurry up and get one 8) ... im also in the same boat. I am ready to buy either the 125sx or 200sx.
I have a kx154 right now and could alwayz use more but then again my 250 was way too much.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
I've had mine for about a month now and I love it. Great power! Of course, it'll blow any 125 away and I get funny looks from guys on 250's (2-strokes) and 450 4-strokes when I'm right beside them going up hills at the local moto track!

Only problem I had was with the forks. They went throgh the stroke way too fast and then I'd get really bad head shake (both the bike AND me!). Anyway, made some changes to the fork and it's better, but I'm not 100% satisfied. At first, I had no problem with the shock, but now that I've made improvements in the fork, the shock definitley needs work.

But really, those things will get ironed out - I have no doubts about that. I just love the fact that the bike feels like a 125 but has the power of a 250!

moto814

Uhhh...
Dec 17, 2002
WhiPit: Have you done anything to to engine, or is it stone stock?

The only real concern I have on the bike is the pipe. I just picked one up, and the pipe looks like it's going to get bashed pretty badly.

-Steve

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Nope - completely stock. The pipe does look vulnerable, but I don't even notice it when I ride and so far (fingers crossed) no dents!

Top Bottom