jdeweerd

May 19, 2002
I was wondering how the 220 compares to the 200.I had a 1995 kdx 200 and loved it .Had a woods style pipe and reeds.It rocked ,no problem keeping up with 250s for the most part.I now have a wr 400 Im selling,and plan on getting a 220.Because in Canada we cant get the 200s for some strange reason.I have heard they are slower out of the box but more hop up potenial ?(hope this is true)I ride in the mountains ,odd cut lines but mostly tight single track.Any comments would be appreciated.Looking forward to kicking some 250s butt .Thanks in advance John

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
There is a link somewhere that I cannot find right now, that will explain it in detail. I'm sure somebody else can find that for you. Basically, if you use your bike more in it's midrange and up, as opposed to the bottom through midrange, then you will want to stay with the 200. But if it's low to mid that you want then get the 220. they both have mad hop up potential. ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Used to be a link on CDave's site...don't see it now. I've never been on a 220, but the fact is not only are they constricted by a 33mm carb (the 200 is 35mm), but the port timing is different. They are not a revving machine 'out of the box'. But..with a carb-job (bore to 36mm or an RB mod), a rev pipe (kg-30) and your basic suspension work the general report from people that have 'em is they work just fine.

Hey..found the comparison link I was looking for. Not too technical as I recall. Take a look:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/200vs220.html

Curtb

May 24, 2002
One nice thing about the 'constricted carb' on my 02 220kdx....I feel free to hold it wide open and feel it has a 'govener' and I aint gonna hurt it because I'm running 1 to 2 k less rpm than the 200. Also this is the only motorcycle I've owned in 40 years that will run on the same jetting from sea leval to 10,000 ft altitude....I can't believe it. Oh ... it gets 90 miles to a take of gas doing medium gnarly trails in Moab. 60miles per tank at full throttle in the sand washes.

MDA

May 27, 2002
Hmm, very intersting comparison. Eventhough Kawasaki Canada only imports the 220, it looks like it was the right bike for me anyway.

-Mark-

girlbiker

May 26, 2002
please explain high end -and low end
is low end the slow 4 stoke type of reving across rocks - and the high end when you try to race in a straight line fuul throttle

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Low end' generally refers not only to what the motor is doing rpm-wise, but how well a bike pulls/runs at low rpm.

'Hi end' is the same. Not just an RPM number, but the strength a motor shows when it's UP there.

The powerband of two strokes can be tuned to be stronger in one rpm area or another. Usually tuning for 'hi end' will sacrifice something on the 'low end'. And vicey-versa.

Depends on how you ride, where you ride, how you want your bike to perform.

Might keep that in mind when you make up your list of mods that you GOTTA have!!

Top Bottom