fire escape

Jan 29, 2001
I was road testing my suspension today to get ready for a HS this weekend when my decompression lever was struck by a pine limb. The bike was in a corner and not at high rpm's but it shut down in a bogging fashion while making a slight ticking noise-kind of like a hot 4-stroke quad -nothing major. I looked down and saw the lever had bent down and hung open against my kill button ( no pun intended ). It started right up and ran normal-I was miles from home and not going to walk. Anyways it runs fine-now to the point-I read when I first bought the bike that if this happened it would result in the piston hitting a valve which would result in a bent valve. Did I get lucky? If someone could shed some light I would be greatful-THANKS!! :think

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
If it sounds okay and isn't smoking, you're probably fine.

Basically, a valve can tag the piston if you engage the decompressor at high rpm.

Normally it's not an issue though.

fire escape

Jan 29, 2001
Yes, my lever is in the stock position. My buddy tried to get me to relocate it to the bottom off the bar but I didn't like it there. I run Acerbis bark busters and this hasn't been an issue before. The trail I was riding suffered some wind damage and we had to ride over or around a lot of trees-this one was in a corner and I cut it too close! Thanks for your input-I wasn't sure if this was a cut and dry deal or if there was some grey area. As far as a high rpm shut down-well-I've had the bike for a year and have yet to reach the rev limiter-I'm pretty conservative.( Yeah, I've heard it before " What are you trying to do-save it for the next owner?" ):)

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i run the decomp lever on my 426 on top,pointing to the stars, love it there, and trust me, i've done extensive crash testing on this bike and that's the best place i've found. btw, i washed my bike,then started it up and went to put it on the bike stand to idle for a bit.when i picked up the bike i titled it towards me and it died. i started kicking and it wouldn't start back up, then i realized i was "kicking thru" with out having to use the decomp:eek: i thought this is no good,stuck valve? after about 1/2 hour i started kicking again, still not having to use the decomp,finally it started,sounded fine,then i shut it down. tried again,but i had to use the decomp this time? it's running fine now:think

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom