2nd Annual Clear Creek New Years Ride

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by D36-108A
Yeah I raced 650 Twins, 600 P, 600 SS, and endurance at Sears. Too many squids, not enough practice and race time for the money and effort.

Which twin? I raced a Yamaha 650/750 during the mid to late 70's. I don't remember if I was racing open GP, or SS. I quit from boredom, and race time / money factor.

Switched to a 79' Yamaha IT175. Started riding enduro's back in 1980-82. Those were fun days.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I don't go back that far. Kaw EX500 when the high-bucks Honda Hawks started appearing, before the whiners got a 500 twins class. Roadracing you spend cubic dollars and get maybe 30-40 minutes of racing if you enter two classes. Risk of getting taken out is high. Risk of serious injury is high. Cost of crash repair is high. Off-road, 2-5 hours of racing for under $50, risk of getting taken out is low, risk of serious injury is low, cost of crash repair is low. And you race with men instead of boys.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by D36-108A
Irisk of serious injury is low

I agree with everything you stated. But I was off the dirt bike for 1 year, because of a big owee. :( I was off the road racer for 9 months because of an incident that happened in turn 8 at Sears. I walk with a limp from both :p :p Maybe it was the time, but most of the guys I raced against were good people.

Never had as much fun RR as I have competing in the dirt, enduro's and old time MX. None of this flying stuff for me. Heck I've even had more fun RR bicycles than RR motorcycles. :flame:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Wow, looks like lotsa folks are coming to CC! Farmer John, that was a good idea to post the link. Fe_Princess - wow!! You and SFO are coming fer shuuuur?? YEah! My "issues" with rutted downhills will be evident once you see me try one.

ggoja - Karna is right! Most of us met through DRN and it looks like that's how we'll meet YOU too!

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
At Sears they punish you for pulling a wheelie. Off-roading, the check workers encourage wheelies and stoppies. Turn 8? Impressive. I went down in 5 (90-100mph) and 1, at the start thankfully (70mph). Fastest speed I ever recorded in an enduro was 55 or so.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
Jonala - I'm planning on riding the Wild Boar in Vet C. You gonna ride with me or what?

Brian

Brian,
No I can't commit to entering the Wild Boar and riding with you.
1) I'm not worthy. :worship:
2) I need to get a couple of practice rides in at CC to get rid of the nasty memories. :whiner:
3) I afraid you will pummel me for the "Sandbagger" remarks that I posted in other threads. :debil:

D36,

The fastest I've gone is about 25 mph. I really had to crank it up to pass Firelily and a fast kid on a RM 80. I passed him, shut the door on him, on a fireroad sweeper. :o

Last edited:

WRSTEVE

Jun 19, 2002
I just want to make sure riders will still be there new years day.
I can probably take the monday off if need be, but would like to save my PTO if there will be riders ther Wed.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I know we'll be heading home that day (Jan 1), but will most likely get in a morning ride.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Buddy and I are definitely going to be there from Monday, Dec. 30 to Wednesday, Jan. 1. :yeehaw:

I wonder how the weather is going to be???

Mini

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Jonala

Brian,
No I can't commit to entering the Wild Boar and riding with you.
1) I'm not worthy. :worship:
2) I need to get a couple of practice rides in at CC to get rid of the nasty memories. :whiner:
3) I afraid you will pummel me for the "Sandbagger" remarks that I posted in other threads. :debil:

D36,

The fastest I've gone is about 25 mph. I really had to crank it up to pass Firelily and a fast kid on a RM 80. I passed him, shut the door on him, on a fireroad sweeper. :o

When did you call ME a sandbagger? I thought we all called Mick the sand bagger extrodinaire? IMO you & I ride at about the same level and would be matched fairly well. Well, you're going to get at least one CC ride in at New Year's so you'd better be ready for the Boar.

Brian

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Any one (NVRFNSH) who stops at Burger King to get the latest and trickest time keeping eqipment, then wins his class is a SANDBAGGER!

Hey Brian when are you going to over TIMEKEEPING CLASSES

I can see the topic now "HOMER MEADOWS WORLD CHAMPION TIME KEEPING CLASSES" DUUH!!!!!!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
A talking watch would have been helpful. Do you have any idea how hard it is to read a watch when you're riding? I had the watch mounted on my bars but it was blocked by my throttle cables. I gave up that and put the watch on my wrist. A couple of times I just about stuffed a tree while trying to check the time.

Brian

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Do you have any idea how hard it is to read a watch when you're riding? I had the watch mounted on my bars but it was blocked by my throttle cables. I gave up that and put the watch on my wrist. A couple of times I just about stuffed a tree while trying to check the time.

Brian, I know that! :ugg:
I put my watch on the bar also, but I still had to stop and look at it to see the time. Two big digital clocks are in my shopping list when I go to Japan in January. Maybe I can even find a talking watch!

But you did so well anyway..... :worship:
Mini

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Ok, here is the scoop (not to change the subject...Brian, we all know you are a sandbagger ;) )

Justin and I rode at Clear Creek last Friday and mapped out a pretty good 35 mile loop for the beginning to give everyone a perspective of the variety of trails CC has to offer. After we get back from that (or before?) we can re-group to see what eveyone thinks and proceed with more trails. Oh, BTW, I wanted to mention that I haven't ridden at Clear Creek since the Piglet and all I can say is I thought I was a better rider than 10 months ago but CC kicked my booty!

I have been checking the weather multiple times a day and as of this morning it is forecast (for Coalinga) for showers off and on (with a break this weekend) until next Thursday then sunshine all the way throught our trip! If the weather holds and if that is accurate the conditions should be pretty good! (CC dries relatively fast so all the rain up until shouldn't be too much of an issue.)

Let's go ahead and commit to Oak Flat Campground which is the first campground you come to. If anyone needs more explicit directions then let me know. As far as hotels, I think that King City and Coalinga would be the closest (but not that close).

COMMITTED LIST:
Justin
Karna
Natalie(GETMETOCA)
John (JONOLA)
Mini (FireLily)
Buddy
Kali (a non-poster)
Kevin (another non-poster)
Fe-Princess
SFO

LINGERING MAYBE'S:
Frank (Tree Finder)
Farmer John
WSMC831
D36-108A
Jake (ggoja)
WRSTEVE (ride on1/1)
Brian (the sandbagger)
Mick?
Belinda? (KTMChick)
Jennifer?
Pierre?

Did I forget anyone? If any of you maybe's have decided then let us know and I will update as needed.

I am getting excited! Two weeks from now we will be there and already sore from riding one day! WOOHOO :aj: !

Karna

Last edited:

WRSTEVE

Jun 19, 2002
Add me to the COMMITTED LIST :D
I'll be there Monday morning.
Will there be some type of banner for DRN there?
just look out for a light blue toyota truck with a WR in the back.
I have a # plate on front and a yz rear fender, look for #44

Looking forward to be riding with ya'll, it should be a nice change to ride with diff. riders and pick up new techniques.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Karna,
I will be at Dove Springs - site of Kiwi's Annual Thank & Spank - for New Year's. Parking the towable palace is much easier in the desert:)

Have fun everybody.

Brian

ktmchick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2002
OK. Count Mick and I in. So far the plan is to get down there on Monday night, ride Tuesday and drive back Wednesday arvo. I'm really looking forward to this ride, haven't been down there since the Piglet. And John, you have to ride the Boar, especially since I will be riding it as well. I have to look for riding partners now seeing that Mick has ditched me and moved up to B.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I will be driving down Mon night. Riding Tuesday & poss. Wed morning.

Every one in this thread has to ride the Piglet because....well, just because. ;)
Now that I think about, everyone should ride the Wild Boar as well. Its not that bad...it's only a few easy miles longer than the Piglet. :p

In 1997, when I started riding enduros I rode the Piglet & Boar back to back.
One of my favorite event memories. Man, I wish there were still 2 & 3 day enduros within 1K miles of Nor Cal. :(

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
FJ,
I'm trying to convince my wife that she would really enjoy the Piglet. Got any suggestions? I'd be up for riding the Piglet with my wife then riding the Boar.

Just curious - is there any kind of break on the entry fees for those of us that may be riding both events?

Brian

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I'm trying to convince my wife that she would really enjoy the Piglet. Got any suggestions? Brian

Yeah, get her a KTM 400 / 520 :debil: , she's tried of riding that XR. :flame:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
FJ,
I'm trying to convince my wife that she would really enjoy the Piglet. Got any suggestions? I'd be up for riding the Piglet with my wife then riding the Boar.
Drag her around some of the roads & simpler single track, then explain to her that is what the family enduros are like.
Just curious - is there any kind of break on the entry fees for those of us that may be riding both events?
TMC is working on that very issue right now. should have an answer for you before the end of the year.

Top Bottom