3 Bikes Stolen, Recovered and Upcoming Court Date

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It's almost like the cops do their best to get them off the street, and the judge does his best to put them back out there. :silly:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT
It's almost like the cops do their best to get them off the street, and the judge does his best to put them back out there. :silly:

The whole criminal justice system needs "to be" reformed. The prisons are overcrowded, rehabilitation doesn't seem to work the way you would think etc. I was living in Texas a number of years ago and the prisons down there housed a lot of federal inmates and were overcrowded. They were forced to just out and out release criminals to meet certain numbers!!!! Yup, it sucks! The best thing about our system is that it employs lots of people and turns around a ton of money :think: Don't even get me started on how many laws we have on the books that won't or can't be enforced or the 'war on drugs'. As long as we continue to elect lawyers to office and they are the ones making the laws then we will continue to put up with double talk, rhetoric and more new laws by the bookful. How much of your taxes do you think go towards this whole 'system'? The police are outnumbered, outgunned, underpayed, underappreciated and fight a losing battle day in and day out.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Trust me, it's not just YOUR state that enjoys bargaining out these cases. Let's put it this way, if you're a D.A. and you want to get positive case results, would you rather go through a lengthy trial or plead out 3 times as many cases quickly. They get scored on there performance to help them advance. The only thing that really makes a difference is if the guys had had priors for the same thing. They eat that up and extra years are tacked on just because.

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
I agree with most all comments made. I certainly think the "punishment" structure needs to be looked at. My brother received 3 DUI's and his 3rd one they sent him to Menard in Chester, IL where he ended up spending 3 years. After he got out, he got married and was in bar with his wife and a guy said something to his wife, which lead to an altercation. After all was said and done, my brother was on the gorund shot twice with a .38 at the ripe old age of 24. The guy that shot him spent 6 months in prison. My brother is now paralyzed from his chest down for the rest ofhis life.

3 DUI's=3 Years in Max. Security Prison
Shooting with intent to kill and causing the person to be paralyzed= 6 Months.

It just does not add up.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Elk,
I hear ya brother. But it torques me that the politically motivated DAs are judged and advanced by their case closure rate instead of their recommended sentence vs. maximum sentence. Granted they cannot control the actual sentence but they can control the recommended sentence.
Case in Point: Yesterday the judge went with the DA's recommendation in every case IRT sentencing. And in every case the DA reduced the charges where he/she could and then decreased the sentence on the reduced charge. The penalties are nowhere near what they could have received for the original charge(s). I agree that a first time offender should possibly get a break depending on circumstances, but it's getting ridiculous.
Judges should be judged on the maximum sentence vs. actual sentence. This type of report card for DAs and Judges should be made available to the public. But this would require lawyers enacting laws that expose bad lawyers. Figure the odds! :p
I understand the prison overcrowding yada yada BS these folks hide behind. Expand ‘em or build more!

Chad,
The scales just don't balance do they? :think:

Excuse me while I go check my blood pressure.......damn, high again. :o Sorry guys.

Scott

Top Bottom