$33 for a spark plug for a 97 RM125 ! ! !

JOE13

Nov 15, 1999
I cant believe they expect me to pay that much for a spark plug. I've been running NGK BR8ES's (which are $30 less) but they don't last long because they eventually carbon up. Is it really worth the $33 to bye the specified plug? Is there diffrent plug that would probably work better than the BR8ES that I'm using now? I'm desperate for any suggestions or ideas. Thanks.

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
Joe, Lots of people run BR8EVs or EGs in RM 125s with good luck. The risk is the ground electrode will break on these plugs in an RM 125 and damage the cylinder and piston. (Plus it quits running out in the middle of nowhere). This is a known problem on RMs and that's why they have an expensive plug that is far less prone to break the electrode. Hope this helps.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Take the plug to your local autoparts store and they can get it for around 5.00-8.00. M/C dealerships are a ripoff when it comes to spark plugs.

A friend of mine has been running a BR8EG plug in his 98 RM250 for 2 years and hasn't had any problems. Not saying that the grounding electrode may break off like the above post, but you can get BR8ES for 1.25 and BR8EG for 3.25 at an automobile parts place like Advance Auto Parts or O'Reilly Auto

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
have you thought about jetting ?

if your bike jetted correctly that 8BRES should last a long time ?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
This is an email I sent to Big Lou a while ago pertaining to this. In any case, if you’re plug is fouling you need to rejet the carb.

<snip>
I have always wondered about the reason for using the expensive plug. Luckily I never owned a RM that called for it. So I called Eric Gorr for the straight scoop. The expensive plug uses a straight over ground strap as opposed to the bent ground strap on an ES/EV/EG plug. I guess Suzuki stresses the plug quite a bit and the bent strap doesn't hold up as well and breaks off over time. Eric said the 125 had the problem and he didn't think the 250 did. They probably spec the same plug to be on the safe side. Eric did say that ND makes a comparable straight over ground strap plug that is cheaper. The crossover is probably available at their web site.

If you decide to run the ES/EV/EG plug anyway, I'd replace it frequently.

Top Bottom