BIF

Aug 14, 2002
I'm taking a hard look at putting my name on the list to get an '03 450exc or a WR450F (can't make up my mind!) I just read a review of the 450exc in Dirt Rider magazine. They referred to it as the 450 EXC-G, and said it was green sticker approved in California. Is the "G" actually a distinct model only sold in California? Anybody know anything about this? Also, having never owned a KTM before, I've been hesitant paying that much more for KTM over WR450. Are they really better bikes or what's their draw?

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
For 02', the G was the designator for the EPA approved models. However, for model year 2003, they were all labeled as G models, yet not all will qualify for the green sticker. Before you take delivery of your new steed, verify the 8th digit in the VIN as not being a 3. You should notice on the Cali bikes that there is a silver plate rivited to the head tube which has the VIN on it. This is a tell tail sign that it is a Cali bike as all bikes were shipped with the infamous 3 in the wrong position so They just re-VINed them and voila. A green bike.

Your WR450 will not be elgible this year for the green as per CA EPA standards.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I think a C in the 8th digit also is acceptable for getting a green sticker.

All the US, at least, bound bikes has the G jetting and that's the only difference between them and non-G models.

Be cautioned that the G jetting is quite lean. I rejetted mine upon delivery to what I had in my 01 400E (OCEMN needle (middle clip), 172 main, stock pilot, 1 out on the fuel screw) and it quieted it down quite a bit. I rode it in Idaho week before last at 5k'-10k' but I leaned the needle out one, main to a 168 and fuel screw to 1/2 out. Another guy was there with a stock jetted 03 450E and it was way louder, ran hot and puked anti-freeze. He'd brought the same jetting stuff along that I was using and, after we installed it, all those problems went away.

Are they worth more money? I think so. SS pegs, top of the line Regina Xring chain, alum sprockets, super strong taper bars, very functional electronic odo, quality graphics and lighter weight which is carried lower make it a good deal in the end.

The weight thing on the WR450 remains to be seen, I guess, but it sure seems like the bike has to get heavier with the happy button even though Yamaha has shaved a few pounds here and there. Since the manual start WR426 is heavier than the happy button equipt EXC400/450 already, it stands to reason, IMO, that the WR450 will widen that gap.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by jeb
I think a C in the 8th digit also is acceptable for getting a green sticker.

Actually, a C or 3 in the 8th digit is not acceptable for a green sticker (any other character is acceptable).

Read page 62, para (b)(3) of this CA government page-

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/lore/enclo-3l.pdf

It reads:

(b)(3) Manufacturers shall identify all California certified off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles {meeting the emission standards in 86.410-90(a)} by using any letter or digit other than the letter “C” or the digit “3" in the eighth character of the VIN.

Last edited:
Top Bottom