cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
I have been researching like I was back in school, but havent been able to find much on pw80 pitbikes.

Thanks to FruD's advice I am going to swap the original suspension for something a bit heavier.

I have sent my top end to cycle riders down in florida for the go go treatment.

new ergonomically correcter parts and the bike is in about 92 pieces.

Now I am wodering if it would be ok to swap the mini me stock carb for a ktm or Kawi 65 carb. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
some friends and I all bought pw80s cause they are dirt cheap. We are racing them like pitbikes but on really short trails(less than 1/2 a mile) and at night.

Its really fun and thats what I am after.

A pw80 is a two stroke also, I can't see why that matters.

I think the carb on the pw is 16mm and the carb on the 65's are maybe 24mm. Even though we are just doing this for fun I am racing against my brother and my wife will be watching so I need to kick his butt.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You might have to free up the airflow a bit, and will definitely have to rid yourself of the injection pump and tank. I think that FMF has a fatty pipe for the PW80 and you can find Boyeson reeds. Try these things and optimize the jetting first. Then look for a way to raise the rev limit.
I actually found DRN while researching PW80 mods. There is an excellent thread on here somewhere that you really need to find and read. I do recommend finding a bead lock for the back wheel. Oh, and 65 tires do fit nicely.

KX85Krazy, a PW80 is a lot of fun to play with. My son and I have ridden ours in pitbike races, I've done donuts in the back yard on it. It is capable of wheelies and can be bunny hopped. I've been beating on mine for 6 or 7 years now and it's holding up fine.

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
Fru,

Thanks for the reply. How would you rate the power increase you got with the mentioned mods?

I dont really need the bike to be a screamer just a fair bit stronger than stock. I also really want to keep it as reliable as I can.

I have started on the conversion already. So far I have cut the sides out of the airbox and covered the with wire mesh backed by pieces from a twin air filter.

I replaced the stock filter with a cut out piece of twin air.

Today I sent my head and cylinder to cycle riders for a shave and hair cut.

Planning to keep the stock pipe but adapt a 65cc silencer.

Bought new pegs, shifter, brake perch/lever and chain guard.

Bought shock from ktm 65 that will require some mounting changes because its two inches longer than stock. Not sure if I want to extend the swing arm or make a bracket up under the seat to change the mounint location.

Bought a front end (clamps and forks with stem) off a 05 ktm 65, these are zokes I think. Plan to run the stock wheels and brakes with michelins. I'll have to make a axle and spacers I imagine.

I'm glad to hear your pw has held up so well. I don't think we will trash ours too bad trail racing we'll see.

Thanks

Chris

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
2-5% at best.
There does exist a "rev plate" for a PW50. I have thought about making one for my 80. Basically it is a shim that fits between the jug and the case and moves the ports up a bit. You do have to mill the top of the jug and the head to account for the extra height.
I think that Twin Air makes a filter to fit the 80, and I am pretty sure that I have one. I know that mine is aftermarket.
You should probably keep the stock silencer, especially if riding in the woods. The pipe will have a greater effect on power.
I made my own pegs.

Good luck, and have fun.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom