pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
'84 Cr125, the goods, the bads?

Well, I jsut got one this week end. Right now I'm playing motor match with it, but I am super excited about finally getting a 125!!! I posted over in the 2-stroke forum, but then it dawned on me that I got a vintage bike. Lol. Anyway, http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=145948 if you'd like to see, unless a moderator would like to merge my threads (if you can do that?). I'm gonna get her figured out sooner or later. If any one has any info at all about the older CR's, let me know. You can never have too much information. I'm loving this already. Gotta love that new bike feeling!!! :nod:

Last edited:

84cr125flyer

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2002
The biggest issue with the 84 - 86 is the clutch cover was made of magnesium and if anything other than radiator fluid, ie water, was in the coolant system the pump housing would corrode. These covers are becoming harder and harder to find. I had one and it was a fun bike to ride. A lot of parts from the 85 and 86 will fit. I do believe the only real difference between an 86 and an 84 is there is one more fiber and metal disc in the clutch.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I'm going to look into an '86 this weekend that "needs minor work" and or an'89 the runs well, for about the same price. Do you think that parts from the '84 would work on the '89 if I needed them? And phosphate coolant, would that be the kind that's also safe for pets, the propylene glycol kind? I believe that one containing ethylene glycol is the harmful type?

84cr125flyer

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2002
I've used standard Prestone for years in mine and have not had any problems. I speak from experience with the magnesium as I rebuilt my 84 and had to replace the whole cover, it was pricey. The main issue is Magnesium and Water do not like one another. Other than that they are good solid bikes with the right amount of work and aftermarket parts can be as fast as any modern 125, just not as well suspended. As far as an 89 and 84 parts swap; they are completely different machines. There are not many parts that are interchangeable. All things being equal, I'd go with the 89, more parts are available and the cylinder can be overbored; first year of the electro-plated cylinder for Honda CR 125s. Some of the lower end parts are interchangeable with the 90 - 98 lower ends; however, the crank will not as the flywheel end is different.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom