Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
how were these bikes back in the day?? im looking at getting one its 1500 with a new top and bottom end new chain, sprockets, reeds wheel bearings and the swing arm bearings and fmf pipe and silencer

Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
1500 Canadian = how much USD?? if its more than 1000 USD pass on that. other than that they are good woods bikes imo , i got one on the spur of the moment a few years back and it woke up the sleeping giant, motocross addiction. it cost me quite a bit by nickle and diming me to death . just as i got it about all sorted out , the last straw, the forks start leaking. i fixed them and sold it . upgraded to an 03 . which i got off e gay for little more than the 88 plus all the work+money i put into it. havent had a ruined weekend or been stranded in the woods yet..........knock on wood

gas+oil + routine maintenance...............priceless :nod:

Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
bikes are alot more expensive up here as well for a brand new yz125 its 7500 plus shipping and frieght all that crap so thats why im thinking its a pretty good deal

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
If it's in good shape, it isn't too bad of a price, but is definitely a bit higher than some.

As you say, our market up here is tougher to find good deals on, as guys think their old bike is gold, and price it accordingly. You could do better if you looked around for a while, but you could also do worse. If it's in good shape and you like it and think it will fit your needs, by all means buy it. They were decent bikes, basically the best available at the time, and are still decent today, so long as you aren't racing seriously.

Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
TimberPig said:
If it's in good shape, it isn't too bad of a price, but is definitely a bit higher than some.

As you say, our market up here is tougher to find good deals on, as guys think their old bike is gold, and price it accordingly. You could do better if you looked around for a while, but you could also do worse. If it's in good shape and you like it and think it will fit your needs, by all means buy it. They were decent bikes, basically the best available at the time, and are still decent today, so long as you aren't racing seriously.

yes i know what you are saying... by the sounds of it it seems like a pretty good deal he said he spent about 2300 fixing it up so thats the only reason im looking into it

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Hey Joe,
I Bought A Brand New 1988cr250 Back In The Day. I Raced Mx, Harescrambles And Enduro's On It. It Was A Very Good Bike. The Motor Was A Little Soft For Me As I Had Just Came Off Of Raciing 125's So I Put Some Hit In The Engine With A Pipe Rad Valve And Different Powervalve Spring,so It Snapped Open Earlier. The Suspension Was Really Stiff That Year, Great For Mx , Bad For Enduro's And Trail Riding. Also That Year The 250's Had Bad Linkage Bolts, They Would Bend Over Time And The Suspension Would Bind. The Price Sounds A Little High For That Year .you Should Be Able To Get A Lot Newer Bike For 1500.00. If You End Up Buying It And You Need Help Setting It Up E-mail Me. Good Luck.

Dave L.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Joeschmo said:
yes i know what you are saying... by the sounds of it it seems like a pretty good deal he said he spent about 2300 fixing it up so thats the only reason im looking into it

Yes, that is the problem with dumping a bunch of money into an older bike, and then trying to sell it, is you spend more money fixing it than its worth. Not saying fixing up an older bike is bad in itself, but fixing it to sell is only profitable if you invest very little. To get your money back, you have to ride it yourself and enjoy it.

I wish we could get the kind of deals that can be found south of the border, but unfortunately up here they are few and far between. I've also heard from people that by the time you get a bike, that you bought for that smoking deal down south, back up here, the taxes, border fees inspection etc end up making it no better than you could find up here anyhow.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I liked the 88 cr 250. Tons of low and midrange power. Not as much top end as modern bikes.

I always thought this was th ebest looking motocross bike ever made. The lower pipe and tank shape was way ahead of its time.

I would love to have one. Much better forks than the upside down models of the 89 .

Top Bottom