Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
Well, I tore my CR500 apart today after not being able to get the head off still. I just took out the whole motor. Now I know I dropped a little bit of coolant down into the crankcase when I tried to slide the barrel out with it in the frame, but there is thick green goo on the crankwheels now that seems to oil mixed to be just that coolant that ran down there. I guess I am in for a water pump seal. Can it be done without splitting the case? I had the impeller off and looked but I can't really tell.

Other than that the iron liner is pretty well worn out it looks like and so it needs bored and a piston. The bearings seem OK though the big end end play may be a little loose...anybody have the spec for that handy?

The reed was sticking open a bit, as I suspected, so fixing that will be a priority to get the thing to start a little better.

And last, is Eric Gorr still backed up beyond belief or what would be the best solution for rebuilding this thing?

Birken
'88 CR500

P.S. Well that green goo must be either the coolant I dropped in there, or just a natural phenomenon, because I just took the clutch out and I can now see that the water pump has no communication with the crankcase. It is driven from the gearbox only. Silly me I should have realized that. Well it looks like it is a top end only, that should go easier on the pocket book. That and the suspension bearings are all shot beyond belief, all that clanging when landing was getting annoying. :D
Birken

Last edited:
Top Bottom