'93 KX250 Rear Fender on '95 KX 500?

Moj

Nov 5, 1999
SE MN
Greetings Gentlemen.

It's 31° F and snowing in MN today, (Five days ago it was 85°!) so I figured it would be a good day to install that new fender. (Got tired of looking at that humpbacked, squared-off, shovel thing.)

When lining up the new fender I can see it needs to be trimmed a little on the right to allow for clearance for the silencer. Upon further inspection the fender seems to need to go further forward towards the airbox in order to attach it to the subframe crossmember. Here lies the clearance problem with the ends of the subframe.Do I need to notch out the fender in order to get it to move further forward?

Sorry to be so Long-winded but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this situation before I start butchering it up.

All replies appreciated.
(Pics esspecially)

TIA

Moj

Nov 5, 1999
SE MN
Thanks for the reply, EZ-Rider.
Great site. Lots of info, pics, etc.

I trimmed the fender on the right side for the silencer and in front but the ends of the Frame Rails are hitting the fender where the flat section angles out.

I think I'll have to Endmill out about 1/2" on either side to get the fender forward enough to get the front bolts started before I can redrill holes for the back bolts.

Unless I'm missing something here...

Maybe it's a '95 specific thing? :p

Last edited:

Moj

Nov 5, 1999
SE MN
UPDATE:

OK now I feel like an idiot for panicing when that UFO fender didn't fall right in place. DUH

Alittle triming with the Dremel and it slipped right in.

To anyone else thinking about attempting this mod; go for it!

It's a piece a cake!

Oh, and after I do any work on a bike I just can't push it back in the shed without a test ride.

I'm still left in awe of the power of an open class 2-stroke! Time for a FWW.It seems as tho i have to sit up on the tank to keep from looping out and then all the back tire does is spin, spin, spin...

Anybody here try to ride a KX 500 in tight woods on greasy, clay, off camber trails?

It's a challange to say the least. :)

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by Moj
Anybody here try to ride a KX 500 in tight woods on greasy, clay, off camber trails?

Yup!!! Do it all the time!! These Indiana hare scrambles are a MF when it's wet and sloppy ground!! Ran one today in fact. GEESH!! Cant get the rear end to hook up (but no one else could either!!) but you have to just LOVE that power!! When it does hook up, hold on and watch out!! When it's slick and greasy out, do just like everyone else does.....easy on the gas, slip the clutch, and minimize the wheelspin. But, ya know....it's ALOT easier to lug a 500 up a hill or thru a tough spot than it is for those little 125 weenies to rev it out to 10grand to make the power to get thru the same spot!!! (a nice flywheel weight makes for even NICER lugging and chugging!!)

BTW....I did the 250 fender on mine too. just alittle trimming for the silencer and at the front for the airbox....then just JAM it on, bolt it to the airbox and redrill the holes for the subframe. the fender just squeezes together there and drill ur own holes!! piece of cake!! Looks so COOL too. Specially when people give it a second look cause they aren't sure what it is!!

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I hear ya boys. I have the 250 fender on mine as well. Love the power outlay. This is one bike you really don't have to worry about putting a pipe, reeds, silencer on. Of course, if you want to, that's just fine, too. I'm gonna ride mine until I break it, then send the cylinder and head off to Eric for a little breathin' treatment. :) I love this bike, and really have no problem turning it. Only problem is, it still likes that "outside line" coming out of a berm/sharp corner. :uh:

Moj

Nov 5, 1999
SE MN
I try to lug the motor in the tight stuff but I just can't help myself from cracking it open and riding at the verge of being out of control.;)

It's tough to really lean into a tight corner on a 500. That darn heavy crank wants to keep the bike upright it seems. It must be some gyroscopic forces at work. For me it helps to keep the RPM's down going into the corner. That and ajusting the rear suspension to achieve better balance.

RomKX5

Feb 4, 2002
Yes, the scooped fender sucks, the straight look is cool. I have one also, but it's broken cuz of an unexpected wheelie :) These happen all the time on the KX500

K

kmix5

just did the fender/seat mod on my 95,turned out sweet! As far as tight corners, gas it, pitch it sideways, it'll go, believe it!

Top Bottom