Status
Not open for further replies.

NHmotochick

Jul 7, 2008
I bought it from someone who raced it and kept it in top shape mechanically and cosmetically, but i don't know what he did to it. the bike has pretty much aftermarket everything.
i tried getting it up for a wheelie but it seems it just doesn't get up there, so i let my experienced friend take it for a run to see if he could do it. he could barely get the tire off the ground for 5-10 feet, and comes back and is like "this thing has no balls for a 125!"
i was surely offended, 'cus i was always pretty darn proud of my bike. my father builds harleys for a living and keeps my bike in tip top shape, and he says there's nothing wrong with it internally. the bike hits powerband very quickly, which im assuming is vital for track racing? and you'd want your bike to stay firm on the ground? plus, i lowered it because im only 5'4''. there's that thing in the middle to lower the whole bike... i just dont know what it's called haha (i'm a newb i know, but i know i didnt cut anything or mess with the suspension) so could that have messed with it too?

i don't really know anything about it, i'm pretty new, so i'm wondering if anyone can help me with what the situation could be. thanks :)

digifox

May 25, 2006
Could be
1.Hole-shots
2.lower gearing
3.VERY good suspension setup

My first pick would be #1 since he raced it.
#2 you could still get some wheelie out of it with you popped the clutch at a fairly high RPM.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
digifox said:
Could be
1.Hole-shots
2.lower gearing
3.VERY good suspension setup

My first pick would be #1 since he raced it.
#2 you could still get some wheelie out of it with you popped the clutch at a fairly high RPM.
Care to give us a clue what you are talking about here? It makes no sense to me :coocoo:

Your problem could be from many sources from the clutch being worn, bad jetting, worn topend,......
You really need to give a bit more information (and a lot clearer then you already tried) unless you want wild a** guessing like digifox.
That thing in the middle could be an engine, a seat, a rearshock (which is not for lowering the bike) by the way

Last edited:

digifox

May 25, 2006
EZ Hole shots
They mount on the front forks like a dirt shield to keep you from doing wheelies as you leave the gates..Hence the name Hole-shots
link

Lower gearing Bigger counter sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket

VERY good suspension setup
A set-up that does not allow large wheelies
Soft in the rear to damper the weight transfer.
Soft in the front to stretch out and help to keep the front wheel on the ground

NHmotochick

Jul 7, 2008
i'm sorry i don't know much about it i'm still learning, i'm trying my best to describe the situation. Whether the bike was purpously made that way. What i was wrongly describing was sag adjustment (rear shock like you said), i myself didn't do it but from what i've been told it is significantly lowered from before, and clearly shorter than other bikes (i still get the 4 inches of sag though) and that's all that has been done. What i was wondering is if the bikes height impacts its ability for wheelies and hitting jumps. Or, like digifox said.... i just have really good suspension.

The bike runs like it's brand new, and i make sure of that. No problems with jetting.
This isn't a dilemma, just something i'd like to understand in general.

96CRkid

Jun 30, 2008
Well, with lowering the bike you might see a slighttt difference in the ability to do a wheelie...just because it has a lower center of gravity and would prbly take some more power to "get it in your face" (correct me if im wrong, this is just my oppinion) but i don't think that a lower ride hight would make THAT much of a difference. There again i ride a hopped up CR250r....so im never at a lack of power.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The suspension will not prevent wheelies. My son has raced several bikes with top notch suspension setups and has never had a problem doing wheelies around the track. He has also ridden old junk bikes with no suspension left on them and done the same. Ever watched Travis Pastrana wheelie entire whoops sections at SXs at full throttle? I am sure his suspension was lacking nothing in setup.
The holeshot device would have to be physically set in order to come into play every time the bike is ridden and I doubt that was done.

I would be looking at clutch performance, jetting, Exhaust valve operation, rider position on bike and the strength at which the riders right wrist twists the throttle before the suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom