98 KTM 250 EXC, Good year??, Good price??

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
I have the chance to pick up a 98 KTM 250 EXC for $2,000. The bike has been raced in some enduros. runs strong. Not sure of any maintenance done on the bike. Has the normal scratches, dented pipe.

Is this a good year for the 250 and is $2,000 a good price.

I would appreciate any info. Trying to decide to go with this bike or a 200.

Jblefty

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The price is just O.K. The '98 had rear shock issues that was a recall. The one you are looking at may have had it done. Remember the bike is a month away from 6 years old.

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
Thanks guys or the reply.

The previous owner was pretty heavy into enduros and I would think he had taken care of the shock issue. The age is a concern, not sure what has been serviced on the bike. No major problems with the bike though. I've taken it to Muenster two weekends with no problems. Seems like a good price for my area and I get some gear with it.

How does a 250 compare to a 200 EXC? I really like the though of the 200 being so light and easier to flick around.

Remember I'm coming of a KDX220!!

JB

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Tough call off the KDX. Stay to a newer 00 or better bike. The 200 is flickable and can be set up as a workhorse but it will rev out well. The 250 will have better lowend and gear high ridability. It will be a tad bulkier and heavier 10-12 lbs I think.

Personally I rode a 200 and liked it but I found myself riding it like a 125...for me that was going fast but no where. I opted for a 300..the real do all machine IMO. :)

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
I have a KDX and my friend has a 98 200 exc. The exc is much harder to ride in tight woods for a novice, more like a MX 125 when compared to the KDX. But my KDX feels like a slug when I get back on it. My other buddy has a 300 exc, to me it is easier to ride than either of the 200s. May be my next bike!

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
I've heard alot of good things about the 300 EXC. I think it might be a little to much bike for an old guy like me. I really like the 200 EXC bikes but have never been on one  just heard good things. I'm also looking at a 2000 KDX 200 w/ mods for $2000. I do a few enduros a year and trail ride with the buddies mainly. I'm thinking newer is better anyway. I would hate for the 250 to crap out on me right after I got it, but I guess that can happen with anything.

Decisions, Decisions!!!

JB

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
Thanks guys for the advice. I've decided to go with a little newer bike.

I'm looking at a 2000 250 EXC this and will probably come home with it. i'll let you know the status.

JB

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Where are you getting it? If from Wild West, be sure and ask a very important question - "Is this one of Lynn Bailey's old race bikes?" They inherited Lyle Lovett's used KTM stock and there were a couple of bikes in that group that were thrashed by one of TX's top offroad riders...

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
Thanks for everyones opinion.

Well I finally made a decision. Picked up  a 2000 KTM 250 EXC on the 4th of July. Very happy with my choice. I'm glad I went with a little newer bike. The suspension is set up pretty soft , which i like right now, but i will dial it in eventually. Bike runs great. I think it's a good step up from the KDX220 which I sold in Jan.

JB :thumb:

Top Bottom