Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Those are pretty good articles. Seems the moral of the story tho is, you can get into dirtriding for $1500, but you aren't going to stay in it long without spending another 3 grand fixing it up, (as long as you have friends in the business), countless man hours and still have a bike with a resale value of only 1500 - 2000. :whoa: So go ahead and buy a newer bike up front, thats in good shape and save yourself alot of time, grief, :bang: and money when it comes to resale time, not to mention more up to date technology. :nod:

Ok, Ok, maybe I'm over analyzing. :nener:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Yeah... you are overanalyzing.

The principle is how to get in the sport cheap. For $1500 they could have kept that bike running by a newbie for a year or two easy. The guys that flogged it are really good riders.

The upgrade was just b/c they could... I don't think it had to be done.

Honestly though... I am fed up with the prices of new bikes. I don't see me owning a $7,000 bike.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
When ever you buy a motorcycle (dirt or street), you should always buy the newest bike that you can afford.

That said, if your a good mechanic then you can buy something less with the intent of fixing it up.

But if your not a good mechanic and you don't have friends that are, AND your bank accout isn't that big, then be prepaied for a big up hill learning curve.

At the same time, I've seen a lot of very good bikes sold for $1,000 to $1,500. Especially a 10 year old bike that's been sitting around. Those can be had for cheap and a smiple carb clean and fresh gas will get you on the trail.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
truespode said:
I don't see me owning a $7,000 bike.
Yeah, me either! I didn't mean buy a new one, but a newer one. I would much rather buy one thats a couple years old,than a new one that depreciates $2000 as soon as you sign the papers. Plus, the used one probably has some aftermarket goodies on it already. :laugh: But I know if I buy one thats 10 years old, I'm gonna have 2000-2500 in it plus alot of time, (not that spending time is necessarily bad), just to get it up to par so that I don't get hurt or break down because of some old, faulty part. Not to mention having out of date technology (mainly suspension), and not getting out of it what I originally paid, BEFORE upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, I think the article is good. The first one anyway. The second on went overboard but if you got the money, what the heck. I just want people to realize that, if they buy a bike of that age, they are going to have to spend more than the initial price to be able to keep riding. The second article completely negated the first one.

When you're as poor as I am, you have to try to be smarter when spending what little you have, especially on toys. What good does it do to spend $1500 to get into the sport, if you're sittin at home with a broken bike after a few rides :(

Old bikes will nickle and dime you to death. Or is it $50 and $100 now. :think:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Reesknight said:
The second on went overboard but if you got the money, what the heck.

I got to see the bike close up Saturday. It definitely looks trick but it is a KX and they are turds :)

I had to leave otherwise I might have been able to con myself a ride on it.

I am looking at a cheap bike right now that I would like to get and fix up. I am REALLY toying with the idea of getting a YZ125 (2000 or newer) and bumping it to a YZ144 and keep it as my back up woods bike.

I rode a 2002 YZ125 in the woods Saturday and it was a lot of fun. I am much faster on my YZ250F but that 125 had me grinning!!!

Ivan

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
truespode said:
I rode a 2002 YZ125 in the woods Saturday and it was a lot of fun. I am much faster on my YZ250F but that 125 had me grinning!!!

Ivan
I've always heard they were alot of fun. I've never had the pleasure myself. I thought about getting one but didn't know if it would haul my fat arse around without being too hard on it. So I used the above logic(refer to previous post) to talk myself(wife actually) into getting the 06 RM250. ;) Now if only this danged ice would quit falling from the sky! :think:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Ice? What is that ice you speak of?

It was 70 on Saturday and sunny. The riding was great!

:)

I promise I'm not rubbing it in... ok, maybe just a little bit :)

Ivan

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It was 50 here on Saturday. Perfect weather to work on the bike..

Yesterday & Today has been another story.. At 8 am Sunday it was 18 degrees. The high for the day.

Today has been just as cold, but also cloudy. So it's cold & gloomy...

I did find one good thing about a nice cold day like this though. When installing bearings, you don't need to put them in the freezer.. just lay them on the garage floor while heating the engine with the torch.

Went in real easy!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom