Alpinestars M4 vs MSR boots vs FOX boots

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I need to get new boots, I out-grew my old ones. I'm on a very tight budget, because I just bought a new bike. I am trying to find a good pair for a VERY limited amount of money. I'm looking at the Alpinestars M4, MSR Evader or maybe some FOX boots. Does FOX make anything inbetween the tracker and forma comp? I'm leaning towards the Alpinestars, but I'm not sure if I can afford them. The M4s are around $300-350 cdn, Trackers are $250 cdn, Evaders are around same price of Trackers, I think. I hope to go out to my local dealer and have a look around. Please help.

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
I have Trackers and i personally am not happy with them. The screws that hold the plates on the toe fall out very soon. Also the buckles rip easily. Not to mention the lining around the heel peels away from the inside of the boot. They are also very uncomfortable at times and hard to break- in

Jason

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I made the mistake of buying some FOX Forma Comps, craked them after about 2&1/2 months, took them 6 weeks to stitch them.. Boots look like frankenstein worked on them.. They told me to send them back, to re-evaluate them.. Could take up to 3 weeks.. Dont waste your money on FOX..
Hope this helps you,
RIck

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Save your money and your feet and get some alpinestars.. Ever notice some of the pro riders that are sponsored by FOX wear alpinestar tech 8's??
Rick

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I currently own but Fox Trackers. Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to go with the Alpinestars M4. My friends has a pair of them and they're really nice. Now I just need money.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
M4's are a good buy. They have everything one wants in a boot except one thing....they do not keep out water. If you are a woods man and ride in the creeks alot, be ready for wet feet. Other than that, I can't see paying big money for other boots of comparable quality.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I bought the M4's that have the MSR name on them (MSR Rage boots). They wear well, they're comfortable. I haven't noticed a water leakage problem

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I looked on the MSR web page and saw that MSR doesn't make the Rage boots anymore. I've never heard of any water problems with M4s before. My friend goes through deep puddles and creeks with out problems. I'm going to check prices and see how much I can get for my old boots on a trade in. Thanks for the help.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Check MXSouth, Bob's Cycle etc. for closeout deals. Buy more boot for your money. Just make sure you've already tried on that model & know what size you need.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I called my local dealer and they don't have the M4s in stock. He said that they would be $330 cdn. I can order them from MXSouth for $159.95 usd, which is about $250 cdn. I just got to find a place to try them on at. I'm still not sure on the Alpinestars, though, does anybody know of a decent boot for around $125 usd? Thanks

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Call Jeff up at MXSouth, mention that you're a DRN member, I'm pretty sure you'll get a small discount off that price. Otherwise, I'd just wait & save up a few more Looneys.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I wont be getting the boots anytime soon. I found with my current boots that if I take out the insole that comes with them and just use my custom insole that they fit. It's actually good because I can't afford boots right now. Hopefully mine will last this season, then I can save up over the winter for some new ones. Thanks for the help, though.

Top Bottom