amazing what you can find on a walk

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Feel free to CC I know they are not great quality but I need to learn
I decided after almost 3 years of living in our new location it was time to explore the area some more. I talked to a guy I met while walking the dogs and he suggested I take a hike into a valley a few miles from our house and this is what I found.

I wish I had a better wide angle lens and that the light would have been better but I liked what I saw and if we get the 5 inches of snow predicted Sat might I think I will head back in there again

The beginning of the canyon
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Those look great Dave. Looks like an awesome area to shoot in.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I imagine there is a lot of that kind of scenery around you, very pretty area. I'd be tempted to head back with a tripod once some of the greenery comes around and try some hdr's even though I've never done any :laugh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Doug - I was thinking a tripod and an infrared converted camera. If he keeps this up Dave may force me to drive to Wisconsin and visit him. ;)

ODM2

Mar 16, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
Doug - I was thinking a tripod and an infrared converted camera. If he keeps this up Dave may force me to drive to Wisconsin and visit him. ;)

oh, no... You are quite mistaken Mr. Rohrich. Dave lives in Indiana.

You'd be crazy to look for scenery like that in Wisconsin. nuttin' but cornfields, dairy cows, slurrystores and people who say hey, youbetcha in them parts. You best take your camera in the other direction.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
ODM2 said:
oh, no... You are quite mistaken Mr. Rohrich. Dave lives in Indiana.

You'd be crazy to look for scenery like that in Wisconsin. nuttin' but cornfields, dairy cows, slurrystores and people who say hey, youbetcha in them parts. You best take your camera in the other direction.
I'll just blindfold him and walk him in circles before we get there or better yet point out the vicious wildlife living around here like tree bears and hoppie sloths (the true wildlife can be seen in the pools below the falls during the summer if you sneak in real quiet according to the guy that sent me here- apparently it is a favorite skinny dipping spot for locals teens)

Doug you drove within 2 miles of it every time you came down here.

Any time either of you wants to come to explore you are welcome. BTW Rich Eric G keeps saying we have to get you up here for some road MC rides and we could make a few side trips into these nature areas.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
oldguy said:
or better yet point out the vicious wildlife living around here like tree bears and hoppie sloths .

Dave - You haven't been in my neighborhood. Four legged animals would be one hell of an improvement. ;)

I'll for sure bring my Ducati up and come riding with you guys. :cool:

ODM2

Mar 16, 2009
Dave- speaking of bears and police officers- I just saw the absolutely funniest newstory.
I'm sorry to pollute your thread with the perty pictures, but maybe this will keep the idiots away??

So- we don't get too many bears by us, and it isn't as pretty as by you....but, a 400 pound black bear has taken up permanent residence (along with a few others) here. It's been sighted a couple years running now. Tonight the local news did a public service announcement for the police, explaining that all the people driving by looking for a sighting are causing big problems.

So here's how the multiple minute local story ran:

First- She interviews the landowner who says he sees it at least four nights a week...Then a picture of the highway and cornfield where its been sited.... Then some more landowner interview, including a statement of gawkers going off the road... Then a picture of a bear and a "it looks like this one"...how much it ways, and how many others are thought to be in the immediate area....

Then it gets really good. As a former law enforcer, I know you will be thrilled with her efforts to help the guys with the badge make our community safe....So- They put the local sheriff on. He proceeds to state that it is really dangerous all these cars slowing down, people taking their eyes off the road, going into ditches, lots of accidents, etc....Then he states that the state patrol will do everything in their power to prevent trespassers and hazardous gawkers...

Then without missing a beat... the local newsgal offers up super help for the police. It was heartwarming in its sincerity. Lest the viewing public accidentally stray into the area: She proceeds to film the cornfield, states "It's been seen no further than 50 yards from here" (off the named highway, with some background signs of local country establishments)....And... just to be sure none of us accidentally drive down the wrong stretch of highway and slow down where the bears might be...Her camera man turns around and films the cross intersection complete with the name of the coulee/road. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm thinking "anything within the power of the sheriff" might need to include shooting newscasters as well as stupid drivers. :yikes:

Gotta love the press.

(You can pull this off your thread. I just thought it was funny as heck. And your pictures are worth another look-see so long as you don't tell where! Did you want to borrow my fish eye?)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
A fish eye woudl really be interesting there. Next week there is a chance Chili is heading down here and we are going up there again.
As for the bear a guy on Wismx posted a shot of the LaCrosse bear a week or so ago that his mother took. It really is fun how the press thinks they are doing a service when they are really creating a bigger problem. When I was assigned to the phones in the dispatch center we would regularily get calls from the papers and tv stations and they always asked is anything happening. I would always answer not that we can say right now just to get them all excited. They would call back every 10 minutes and I would then answer them with- "it just might be the next call" they would read into it next time they called I would tell them but what I meant was maybe the next call will be the big one

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Those are great Dave. I especially like the last one. That's a scene that is screaming for Black & White or Infrared, or maybe one of each. :)

Last edited:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Great photo work, a treat to look at. All the layers of strata are horizontal, where I live the strata is tilted 45 degrees at minimum, some places close to 90 degrees. Be care full with that ice.

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
I especially like the last one. That's a scene that is screaming for Black & White or Infrared, or maybe one of each. :)

I've finally figured the affection for B&W....It's because the Big City is all dirty and grimy...so you can't see nature in all her wonder without making her B&W. lol. Rich- You can't make that rock black...It wouldn't be what it is if you take away its natural color. That is blasphemy!

Dave- I cannot believe you snowshoed over the waterfall. Are you nuts?

Having gone in there a couple times with my camera I have a lot more appreciation for the efforts you went to on the summer shots. (And longer lens?)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
fatcat216v2 said:
Rich- You can't make that rock black...It wouldn't be what it is if you take away its natural color. That is blasphemy!

Ansel Adams might have disagreed. But what did he know? ;)

zoom_05010125.jpg

zoom_05010102.jpg

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
lol. I set you up, you swung and caught a piece of that ball. Nicely done.

I was picturing the first photo as I wrote (edited.)

However- you outdid me. The second one is not one I'm positive I've seen before(although I've seen many).

Nicely done for 2 runs in.

You are still a city slicker.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
With Dave's permission I'll take shot at Anseling his photo to see if my "eye" is any good North of Evanston.

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
Evanston? That's like the Wilderness for you isn't it? Don't you mean north of Wacker?

I would like to see it. I liked your shots by the shore in infrared.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
With Dave's permission I'll take shot at Anseling his photo to see if my "eye" is any good North of Evanston.
Rich do it I can send the full res if you want.
I really want to see it done that way correctly :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'd like to give it a try Dave. Go ahead and e-mail a full res version to me and I'll see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom