TheDude

Jul 15, 2003
Hey all. I posted this earlier and got a lot of great feedback but have additional questions:

6'3", 230lb, semi-beginner, trail rider in MO/AR...36yo and want to get back in to trail riding. I rode dirt up until 14-15yo and then owned a street bike for a while in my 20's. Have not rode any for last 10yrs or so.

I started looking at the KDX 220 but also started researching more about KTMs. I have been reading about how light and agile a 200MXC/EXC is in the woods and that it has plenty of usable power. The other comments I have read seem to suggest that the KTM product is a superior product to the KDX. Now I don't want to start a flame war between the two on this board...I am just looking for some honest assessments between the two bikes especially considering my semi-beginner status.

My main reason for looking at the KTM is that a local dealer has a leftover '02 200MXC...also has an '03. I'm thinking I can get a pretty good deal. I would also be interested in hearing any comments about the model year, comparions with the EXC (other than the obvious headlight etc.), and suggestions on a reasonable discount consider both are leftovers.

All comments appreciated.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...I got a kdx 220, its a 99 and I like the bike alot, esp. for trail riding....anyways if you are looking for quaility than go for the KTM, its just a better bike all around than a KDX....

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ou will also need to redo the suspension in the KDX DEFINATELY. I am not sure about the KTM, but I hear it has a better suspension, pipe, and handlebars.

Nevertheless

Jul 1, 2003
I just 'moved up' from a 1993 KDX 200 (one of two years with upside down forks) to a 1999 KTM 200 EXC. For someone your size and weight I think the KTM is a no-brainer. You'd 'outgrow' the KDX so fast, you'd be sorry you didn't pop for the KTM to begin with. Also, you might find the KDX underpowered for your 230 pounds.

We've got two very different types of riding here in New Mexico. First there is typical western desert type 'badlands' type terrain. It's relatively open, sandy, big hills, sand washes, scary single track on the edge of really stupid drop offs. Some of it is like miles of motocross track. The other is typical wooded mountain; tight, narrow, rocky etc. The KTM is superior in the desert stuff because of the chassis and handling. I can easily ride the KTM at speeds that were scary on the KDX.

The KDX felt noodly and hinged in the middle compared to the KTM. This would be even more of a problem with your size weight. You weigh 100 pounds more than me !!! You'll be flexing the frame and forks. Especially if you get air over jumps. I was having trouble bottoming out the KDX front end and I'm only 130 pounds. The KTM will save your 230 pound rear-end when you screw up. I've survived mistakes on the KTM where the KDX would have slammed me down. Like nailing the front end into dips or whoops. The KTM just soaked it up.

They 'bounce' differently. Get into trouble in the KDX and it goes sideways and all over the place and the front end wants to tuck under and slam you down. The KTM bounces too but it keeps going straight. Just stay on the gas and you'll survive 99% of those episodes. Even getting stupid and out of shape in whoops, just stay on the gas.

The KDX doesn't have anywhere near the precision and directional stability of the KTM. It's better in the woods. We've got some super narrow single track through the woods (like 10 inches wide, much narrower than a footpath). On the KDX, the front wheel was always trying crawl out of the groove. And I had trouble holding a line, like on those nasty rocky hills where there's only one good line, or you have to change sides half way up to avoid a killer rock or root. I thought it was my riding skills. Then I got on my friends KTM 200 and the problem vanished. The minute I got on the KTM I could ride it probably 25-30% faster than my KDX. It was such a revelation.
And I was instantly dissatisfied with the KDX. I knew that was going to happen, I went through the same thing 30 years ago. I was perfectly happy with my 1976 Bultaco Pursang 250, until I rode a friends KTM.

I haven't sold the KDX yet. I took it out a couple of weekends ago and rode it again for comparison. I was riding it SO much better, because the KTM has brought my skills and confidence way up.
-Joanne

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
I just turned into a KTM rider this summer. sold a very nice KDX220, but just wanted more. i was never happy with the suspension on th eKDX even with 213 springs. I was looking for a 200EXC but couldn't find one i could afford. Picked up a 2000 250 EXC for a good price and am very pleased. For the money i would have spent on the suspension mods on my old bike i got the KTM and didn't have to do anything but dial it in. A good condition 2000 or so KTM might run 300 to 500 more but you don't have to do anything to it.

The KDX was a great bullet proof bike, but I love my new KTM.

JB

Top Bottom