blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I had an awesome day today, possibly the best one since my car accident. I have hope again. HOPE!

For the past 15 months i've been struggling going from dr. to dr. and not getting an answer for the reason my arms hurt like hell when I ride and go numb. (try arm pump times like 1000000). One of the hardest things I've had to deal with is not knowing one's prognisis.... what is wrong, how long it will take, will i ever get better?... will i ride competitive again? I kept telling myself tomorrow but tomorrow never came. Nobody had the answers.

So last week my dr. tells me I prolly won't be competitive ever again, I'm young, so maybe in a few years I'd heal maybe and I could try again. YEARS... thanks. Let's add that on to being a chronic pain patient... so I sulked all weekend, didn't do jack ****. just laid in my bed all weekend feeling sorry for myself.

So I get this call out of the blue today. From a DR. evidentely my dr. thought about it, and found another dr. who he thought could help me. So the actual DR calls me on his lunch break. He gets my insurance and is looking over my benefits... i told him about all my unpaid med bills and how i pay monthly what i can to try and pay it off. and about all the dr.'s i've been to and all this and that. etc. etc. So he says he'll help me out, pay part of my deductible because my insurance is really good after my deductible is paid.

It just so happens I did some reasearch and found something that could posibbly be the reason for my arms when I ride going numb. So i mention it to him explain the attack position in mx and how i think it correlates with this condition i read about because the trigger is part of the position you have when riding. He said the symptoms i described matched up and he thinks that it ccould be a possiblity and to remind him to do the test for it. So he's like can you come in two hours. sure.

So i head down there, its kinda far from my house 30 mins. Got to the office. Pretty crowded there! surprized i got that much attention, he spent 3 hours with me. Said I was an awesome patient, very thorough and accurate... verified what I thought was the problem as the problem for the numbess, said he thinks he can cure it with physical therepy. Gave me answers for all my questions something no other dr. has done. he explained everything behind it and was just awesome. gave me advice on my lawyer, insurance, settleing (he used to work for ins) let me know that if i had ANY questions not to hesitate to call him and even offered to help my lawyer. Wow almost to good to be true. who is this guy, is he for real?

But here's the bombshell, he asks out of all the dr.s you've been to has anyone said anyting about a problem with your lower back... "umm no they haven't" I replied. Not even the one who ordered the MRI for you... "um no he said i was perfectly fine according to my mri" He goes well your MRI shows you have a mild-moderate heriniated disc. I think you should know that and that is why when you do karate, you get nerve shocks down your legs cuz that disc is hitting those nerves. wow. thanks other dr's for sharing that info with me.

anyways, its too early to tell if it will all work out, but he seems great and says he can heal this part of me, while my other dr. does the other stuff (facet injury). So even if i have to live in pain and do a nerve burning thing every year for the rest of my life, at least i have a chance to ride like i know i can again. I'd rather have pain over numbness anyday. For once, I know whats wrong, and I can understand what the procedure is done for getting well instead of just guessing and being lost. What a load of bricks of my shoulders.

sorry for being so long winded but its a good day for me at least.

BTW the bike is for sale, I plan on celebrating my come back with a new bike, a 4 stroke when that time finally comes!!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sounds like you at least have an avenue to pursue now. The very best of luck to you, Jenny!
(you're gonna love the new thumper)

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
:cool:

Great news.

I saw your bike post in the "For Sale/Wanted" forum and thought about deleting it. But if your going to celebrate with a new one I'll let you sell the old one. :nener: :laugh:

Keep us posted on your progress.

Mully

ps: you can keep the uni-cycle...... right ?? ;)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Great news Jen!! that Doc sounds awesome!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
blackhawk468 said:
. . . I plan on celebrating my come back with a new bike, a 4 stroke when that time finally comes!!!
I coulda told you all your problems were stemming from not having enough strokes . . . :think: :rotfl:

glad you are on the mend! :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Great news Jenny!

It is great to hear you in such good spirits!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The only thing that could possibly make that story better is if it ended with...

"and he's going to do all of this work for free"

It's good news Jen.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Well, I went again today to take a look at my x-rays. Some bad things some good. He was very through. explained my insurance with me and how we had to file it since i got denied for "not medically necessary" by a dr. that has never seen or talked to me. said that the passages where the nerves go through were better than he thought they would be and that meant my recovery would be faster. he explained why my nerve testing turned up false negative. (two parts of nerves sensory (numbness) and motor) the test only tests the motor part of nerves.... so if the sensory is damanged but not the motor it wont' show up. he said a few more things, and i started therepy.

He called me a few hours later to see how I was feeling and to remind me to put some ice on my neck/back. How many Dr's do that? usually its the secretary!!! WOW.

BTW got a total on my medical bills to date today from my insurance company... all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!! more than 100 grand!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
it'll be good having you back. i miss the monthly emails where i would invite you to come up and race with the oklahoma girls (even though you never came :debil: ).

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
That is great news, Jenny. Keep the positive attitude.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Jenny,

I went through the herniated disk thing about 7 years ago. PT helped alleviate the pain and numbness. I have never been one to warm up/stretch but learned that was the cause of my problem. I'm an inflexible bastage! :laugh:

I can always tell when it's flaring up because my foot goes numb. It's the sciatic nerve getting pinched. Believe it or not.... riding actually fixes the problem for me. It doesn't make much sense but my back usually feels better after riding. One would think it would be the other way around. Good luck with the PT!!! :cool:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Twinspar, it makes sense about the back. Henk is always in agony if he hasn't been riding over the weekend & it's the latter part of the week that's the worst. I'd guess it's the flexibility & agility (or lack of) causing that. Also if he stands around for a while I can see he's in pain (gets him out of dishes frequently). I know he's been told to go swimming, but somehow never finds time (maybe to do with the fact it's boring).

Jenny, glad you've finally seen a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel. I had a dr phone me once & all I can say is I'm glad it was me that answered the phone.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
That is some good news. What kind of treatment is he doing for you?

Advise on the med bills, pay something each month. Even if it is $5. You won't get dinged for late fees and penalties on medical bills or get taken to a collection agency as long as you are attempting to pay it.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
so how's all this truning out so far. Hopefully you are still making progress. I hope your insurance comes through for you. You should be good, with the positive outlook on life and your positive enegry you should heal up good. Good luck to you :cool:

swett

Riding it like I stole it
Mar 13, 2005
Good to hear.. Best wishes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom