Braaap!

Jul 10, 2009
Ok, well my riding background is downhill. I still race downhill. I am in cat 1 (closest thing to pro class). I am an aggressive rider, and am not afraid to go for it and pin it to win it.

Well yesterday I was over at my friend's house. I sat on his cr 450. I took a lap around the yard, go the shifting down quickly, and loved it. They are not hard to ride, but are very powerful, very very powerful. I then rode a cr 125 2 stroke (his little brothers bike). It was loud and felt good, sounded good.

I want a 250cc motocross bike, I know it is the right thing for me, and would be riding at tracks around me in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. What I don't know is a few different things though:

Do I want to go 4 stroke or 2 stroke? I know this much about them:
4=more money when maintained, but less maintenance I know. Four strokes are a little more beginner friendly.
2=more maintnence, fouled plugs, more blown top and low ends. 2 stroke is way cooler and louder sounding, but you can't idle them at lower rpm's I think.

Next... What make 250? I know honda's 450 has rated high for the past four years, but what do you recommend for 250's. I don't want a KTM. Too much money for me to spend.

What repairs are needed? Do bearings in the suspension need replaced often like downhill bikes need (every 6 months). Do you need to play with suspension settings a lot? Do you ever have to rebuild the engine, or put new pistons in it?

I am in college and maintnence and repairs are important not to have with a lower budget like mine. So reliability is important.

Any tips on looking for a used bike? I want something around $2,500. I know I can find a decent 250 for that kind of money.

Thank you so much guys for reading and sorry to write a book.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Your statements about 2 vs 4 strokes are somewhat flawed. Generally, a "new generation" 4 stroke requires more maintenance than a modern 2 stroke. This is not necessarily true of the older generation 4 strokes. A 2 stroke doesnt necessarily have more "fouled plugs and blown top and low ends". Plug fouling is a sign of the wrong mixture and/or the wrong jetting. Blown top and bottom ends has more to do with the type of riding and the way the bike is maintained. You can blow top ends on a 4 stroke also....its really about maintenance. 2 strokes top ends are easier and cheaper to rebuild. If you dont have the knowledge to rebuild a 2 stroke, you may want to find another hobby. Dirt bikes are generally money pits...keep that in mind.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
no.no.no. my friend.
2 strokes: easy to repair and cost friendly, and as long as they are maintained they run perfectly, they dont really go through top or bottom ends that much quicker. if you blow it up, your out maybe 200 dollars.

4 strokes: much more complicated to repair, and expensive to repair(as well as maintain) if you blow one of these up you are out 500-1000 dollars(give or take labor)

in the end it all comes down to personal preference, what kind of power delivery do you like better?.... but everyone knows which one your wallet likes...:)

Braaap!

Jul 10, 2009
Yea, I think I want a 2 stroke 125. I stopped at some local dealers, etc... There is a 2004 yz 125f. I need to look at it some more (bearings, piston, frame, etc...), then the verdict will come in on that. Also, I saw a new 2007 ktm 144sx for sale. It is like $3,800 and I am only willing to spend $2,500. I guess I will have to see what happens.

Thanks guys.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
you should give a try at a 250 2 stroke.
in that price range i would pick a 2 stroke for sure.
The 250's top end will last longer thant the 125's one.

Top Bottom