Any '02 'berg riders out there ?

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Is anybody riding one of new 2002 model Husaberg e-start bikes,especially the FE400 ?
What do you think ?

Thanks in advance

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
I have a 2002 FE400e. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is really easy to go fast on it. I am able to keep up with guys who were faster than me when I was riding my last bike(E/XC 250). The only disadvantages are the typical four stroke things: frequent oil changes, higher initial cost, frequent valve adjustments(really easy and about a twenty minute job once you learn the drill. easier than the KTM. Way easier than the Yamaha...)It's light, it has good suspension, it has top quality components, the motor is GLORIOUS, looks cool too;) The crank is counterbalenced to make it vibrate less and to make it more "flickable". It works. Handles like a 250 two stroke on the trail.Starts easy even if it didn't have the button, but the button always works. Make sure that you have a dealer who cares. Husaberg had some failures a few years ago, but are really pretty reliable now. Still when you are talking about a company that builds only 2000 motorcycles per year, by hand, there are bound to be some problems. Mine has been great, and so have been all of the others sold by my dealer. Husaberg is really trying to take care of their customers and their reputation, they have reduced prices on parts (thanks KTM:) ) I paid $30.00 for the whole taillight assembly , which I smashed on a rock:( I thought it would be more. I'm just getting mine broken in, but I love it. I know I'm babbling here, so I'll stop. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me. I will do my best to help you.:)

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Maicomotoman, I spoke to local dealer in Melbourne, and he claims maintenance is low. It is no longer necessary to adjust the valve clearance after every few rides. Husaberg now use much stronger valve seats. He says, the key maintenance issues are:
1) regulary oil changes with a good synthetic
2) rear sprocket bolts require constant attention
3) the ignition cover needs to be regularly removed to purge any moisture
4) the air filter requires special treatment when washing to avoid letting water seep into the carby

He also touted the benefits of the lo/high ignition switch claiming most riders use when it fatigued. Yet February Dirt Bike magazine claims it makes no difference ?
The dealer also claims the 400 returns about 140km for “normal” trail riding where as the 501 about 160.

Maicomotoman what do you think ?

Much appreciated
TR

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
TR, I have adjusted my valves three times since new. At two hours the exaust valaes were tight. At ten hours the intake valves were tight. At twenty hours they needed no adjustment. I think that you need to keep an eye on them during break in and then every twenty hours or so. I change my oil after every ride. It's only a quart(litre)and I figure it's cheap insurance. I bought a Scotts stainless steel oil filter(about $60 U.S.) so I won't have to buy the paper filters at $10.00 a pop. Remove the ignition cover after every ride. It gets some condensation in there even if you are riding in a dry area. I wrap my air filter in a plastic bag, and re-install it when I wash my bike. Wash the filter,and oil it, before you ride the bike, it's full of blue spooge and it fouled a few plugs before I figured it out. Sorry, I can't really tell the difference between lo and hi on the ignition. Maybe hi hits a little harder in the midrange, but I can't really tell. The motor is incredibly smooth, no real bursts or flat spots. Almost like an electric motor. It just hooks up and accelerates rapidly. 400cc is plenty for trail riding. Even at high elevation, I ride at 8000 to 10000 feet and have no problems. I get about 60 miles out of a tank, so 140 km might be a little optimistic. Maybe with the right jetting, and after it breaks in? We'll see...The maintenance is no big deal, the bike is a joy to ride, and they have become quite reliable. I hope this helps.One more thing: DON'T ride this bike unless you are prepared to shell out the $. You may find that you won't be happy with anything else;)

Last edited:

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
TR, I just got back from a ride...
DON'T ride this bike unless you are prepared to shell out the $. You may find that you won't be happy with anything else
...on second thought BUY ONE! Mortgage the farm. Sell the cow. Whatever. Buy one! You need this motorcycle:p

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom