VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Is any one going to ride out at Southern Blvd. this Sunday (10/28)? I need a hobby so I thought I'd go out there and hurt myself. Just like the good old days.:)

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I'd try it out for a change of pace, except:

A - Alb. is almost 3 hrs. away. (like everything in this state is 3 hours away from everything else!) :think

B - I probably would be so far behind you that i'd get lost........:eek:

Is the riding pretty good at "Southern Blvd."?
(keeping in mind a 40 yr.old guy on a 20 yr. old bike...)
Might make a neat weekend trip sometime.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
OAS

Usually there ain't nobody behind me. Unless they're broke down.

Southern is a pretty decent place to ride. As long as you get away from the parking area. There are endless miles of sandy whoops that just kick my ass! North loop is single track, if you can find the north loop. I rode there once so I could probably find it.

I'm a 45 year old guy. I could bring my CZ and that would put me on a 28 year old bike.

I'm almost sure that you have better/similar riding up in your neck of the woods. I rode there once too. But that was in 1985.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Well I rode southern today. Didn't see any of y'all there. But then I didn't ask if the 4 guys I was riding with are DRNers.

So if you were riding with a bald headed guy on an XR400 with a VMX sticker on the front number plate and a CZ jersey. It was me.:)

HeliDoctor

Oct 16, 2001
Southern Blvd in rio Rancho

Hey, I was there on saturday the 27th with a couple of friends until I broke a clutch cable pretty far in, It was a nice challenging ride back to the truck let me tell you!!!! :scream: we are planning a trip to the Jemez before we get too much snow this winter

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
It could be snowing there right now.

Look for me out at Southern this winter. I need to get in shape, and those miles and miles of sandy whoops oughta do it. Besides, skidding those big arroyos is still fun after all these years.

HeliDoctor

Oct 16, 2001
get in shape? That makes 2 of us then, my buddy is riding the Jemez tomorrow so we'll get a weather report, i got lucky enough to have to work but will try to get to Southern before the Bucs game on Sunday........:)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'm thinking I might make it out to Southern on Sunday (11/11). It will probably be around 8:00 or 9:00. I usually wait for some old guys to show up so I don't have to whup up on no pups.(:) yes that is really funny). Plus I still get lost out there for some reason.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
HeliDoctor, yea there are a couple places around Farmington to ride.
The biggest is the "Glade run trail system", on the N.W. corner of Farmington.
There is a good variety of riding there , ie: sand washes, single track, rock climbing (for you trials types out there).
For info or a map call Farmington BLM at 505-599-8900.

There is also a moto/practice track along rt#371 on the S.W. corner of Farmington called "Head canyon off road competition area" about 3 miles outside of Farmington.

Before you get to that though, there are some good sand dunes just outside of Farmington before you get to "Head canyon". Also run by the BLM along rt#371.
Check out the BLM site: www.blm.gov/nhp/index.htm

There is also a nice motox track in Aztec (10 miles N.E. of Farmington) that is pretty fun. Its open to the general public from 8 am till dusk, 7 days a week, and no charge to ride. (unless its race day of course. :confused: :confused: )

None of it holds a candle to Pa. woods riding (imho) but what the hey, its better than nothing! :)

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
A buddy and I are coming over from Texas the 14th and 15th to ride, I haven't decided where yet. Depends on what the weather is doing. HeliDoctor, the S. Jemez is one of the places I was thinking of. Also considering Cloudcroft, Buckman, Cedro.

HeliDoctor

Oct 16, 2001
Trail Ryder, I went to Cedro a couple of weeks ago and would reccomend that place over the others, more variety.... someone at work said the park was closing down this weekend (today) but I guess maybe they meant as far as camping or so since so many people end up being rescued every winter. ( I work rescue helicopters for the Air Force). My buddy went to the Jemez today and rode some single track trail with some 23+ water crossings by Cochiti Lake... I was stationed in Alamogordo but never rode in Cloudcroft (strictly street rider then), how is it there? Have you given some thought to maybe riding by Mount Taylor?:think

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Cloudcroft is a pretty nice area to ride. You shoud check it out. The Forest Service has a travel map of the trails that's pretty good. Check out my pics of Cloudcroft by clicking on my link. Don't know anything about Mount Taylor or even where it's located. How about some details.

HeliDoctor

Oct 16, 2001
Mount Taylor is about 1 hr west of Albuquerque, close to I-40. Cooler than other places during the summer months because of the altitude and compares to Cedro and Jemez on the sightseeing aspect. I'm supposed to go hunting with a friend from Alamogordo in December so maybe I'll take a look at Cloudcroft, it's a little far to go riding but you never know....We are thinking about the possibility of having a weekend trip to Glamis since one of the guys has an RV so we'll see about traveling, I saw footage on "Crusty demons of dirt"and have been wanting to go since......

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Jemez weather report

Hi Vintage,Traily,On Sunday. Went to S. Jemez, this weekend. Weather was warm and pleasant!!! This week the weather report is for rain and snow at elevations, however I believe that any snow that accumulates will melt. I am going to go back up next week, if i can. I found some rutted,rooted and rocked single track (this is my first time exploring the area), that was too tough for my co-rider. But we did find some excellent two track, that was real do-able and we were pointed to some other trails for the next trip. I will post a scouting report, if I can go next weekend (Nov.17/18) :) I am hoping the weather holds up (no snow) ,and maybe I can find some group worthy trails and we can get a ride in to hold us over the winter.

Helidoc,,, see Ya at work:cool:

Jun 14, 1999
Hey guys,
Im stationed here in Alamogordo...been here 11 years now (well 1 year this time, since my short tour return from Iceland). Let me know when you want to come on by and do some riding up here, preferably before the snow flies! :scream:

Derek, Im still here anytime you want to hook up and go let me know...Ill make the effort to meet up with you.

HeliDoctor

Oct 16, 2001
Hey bud, thanks for the invite, I'm supposed to go see a friend of mine down there next month, he has a 650(KX,KR?) maybe we could all hook up for a couple of hours of riding in the Lincoln? I was stationed down there with the 48th rescue helicopters from '93 to '97 and before then I did my tour in Iceland with the 56th rescue. Now I work at Kirtland as a civilian contractor. we already have snow at the Sandias and we'll see the Jemez on Monday.

Jun 14, 1999
Sounds like fun to me, let me know when your coming I'll find the time to hit the trails .

I used to work on the 56ths Choppers in Iceland...I work aircraft fuel systems (fuel shop). In fact I worked a HH-60 aux tank or two at Holloman before your unit disbanded here.

Small world huh?

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Sorry I missed you Vincent. A friend and I just got back from Cloudcroft this evening. We really lucked out with the weather. Got there late Tues. night and got up Wens. and rode all day. Did the Rim Tr from start to finish, took my bud to see the observatory, had lunch in Timberon, on the way back took Tr 116 to 9277, 9278 and a few others that weren't on my map, got lost awhile and found our way back to the highway as it was getting dark and snowing and freezing on the pavement. Had a good time. Got up this morning to snow so headed to Cedro to see what the weather had done there. Weather had cleared a little so we donned our raingear and unloaded the bikes for a look see. The 2 track jeep roads weren't too bad because of all the rock but we got off on a single track and it was muddy as heck. We were sliding all over the place, trying to keep from falling. I don't know the area well at all so we got lost, couldn't find our way out and the weather was moving in again. We ended up finding our way down to a gravel road that came out on the highway 4 miles north of the Cedro CG turnoff. Our bikes have about 100lbs of mud on them. I HATE MUD! It's good to be home.

Happy Trails,
Derek

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Trailryder42, i was checking out your pics of Rampart Co., and was wondering.
Ive been hearing a lot about this place, but have NO idea where it is!
What city is nearby, and is it hard to find?
Also, does the bike need any kind of "sticker" or inspection to ride there, or do you just go?
(my 500's spark arrestor went away earlier this year, and i havent found a replacement yet.)
Those pics looked pretty nice (reminded me of home turf) and im getting a bit bored -w- desert terrain.
Nice bike by the way!:)
(very nice photo album)

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Thanks for the kind words. Rampart is about 45 minutes SW of Denver. From Hwy 85 at Sedalia, take Hwy. 67 south to Rampart Range Rd.. There is primitive camping(no hookups) and parking all along the road. A map of the system can be had from local shops and Trails Illustrated makes a good one too(map #135). Check out cotrailriders at yahoogroups.com .

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Traily, thanks for the fun report, I was working while you were playing, but I hope you had fun. We are going exploring in Jemez again, I haven't found "the" loop yet. but I'll keep you posted. What I've found so far is superior to Cedro... I'll keep you posted. Later

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
I've ridden in the S. Jemez twice in the last 2 years. You're right, it is superior to Cedro any day. I know the guy that laid those trails out and you definately need a guide find them. Check out my pics of the S. Jemez rides I've been on. I definately look forward to next years spring ride.

Top Bottom