Any owner of YAMAHA WR 250 1998 2 strokes ?

antorider

Mar 10, 2006
Hi,

I just bought a YAMAHA WR 250 2 strokes 1998. Looks like a YZ 250 2 strokes. Previous owner said it is the same as the YZ but the gear box is different, it is meant to be used for enduro not for MX, is this right. Any one has something to say about.

Thanks

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont believe that bike made it to the USA. Possibly canada only???

The wider ratio tranny sounds like a riot. How about posting a picture?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The WR 250 used to be sold in the US until 97 I believe. When the WR 400 came out, was when they pulled it I believe. I don't believe they changed it from 96-98, and I know for sure that 94-96 was the same bike except for the graphics and plastic and minor little changes. The 94-96 were basically a 94 YZ 250 with a flywheel weight, wide ratio transmission, big offensive gas tank, 18" rear wheel, and little else. I'm not certain, but I don't believe the 97 or 98 were much different than the 96.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
The '98 WR250 is a whole different animal from the prior years. They did not import this particular year to the US ('97 was the last), but did into Canada. I wanted one, and did the research, only to find it was a red-sticker bike. MACE used to own one.

They are identical to the '98 YZ except for the trans, lighting coil, kick stand, 18" rear wheel and perhaps porting and o-ring chain.

I still want one.

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
Still don't understand why Yamaha did away with the WR250 Two Stroke. I know a lot of people that loved that transmision in the WR. Suzuki had a great RMX 250 also. Did they not realize people will still be riding two strokes off road for quite a while? What do I know, I still ride a 500cc two stroke! :)

91kx

Mar 6, 2004
We actually had 2 different wr's in 97 and 98 in Canada.One looked like the YZ's of those years and the other was the big old tanker that came in 94.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I had a 94 WR and it was identical in appearance compared to a YZ. Mine had a regular tank on it which might have been put on by the previous owner who worked at the yamaha dealer. It had a long rod kit put in it, boysen rad valve, FMF pipe/silencer etc with all guards. Had tonnes of low end pull. Could climb anything and not have to be on the pipe all the time. I rode with mx250's and my bike definitely had the advantage when riding in the woods. You'll love yours.

antorider

Mar 10, 2006
Thank you people, your comments have been very interesting and valuable to me, today I rode the WR for the first time, oh god, it is a wild horse.

Airlooped

Feb 1, 2005
Great bike! I wish I had one. Two stroke enduros really have a place. Fun, light weight, and easy to work on....and the wonderful smell of premix.

jorigo

Feb 28, 2006
I have a 1998 WR250 it looks like the YZ of the same year but with a little large tank with reserve petcock (8 liter), 18 inch rear tyre, a heavier flywheel, lightning coils, spark arrestor, oring chain and a wide ratio (WR) in the tranny. For me its a near-perfect bike, powerful, light, reliable, easy to repair, only thing that i done is a valving in forks and shock, a protaper, devol radiator guards, and 2002 yzf250 front disc brake. Here in Chile almost every pilot runs in four strokes and 2 strokers are very few but i not feel in disvantage with this bike because it performs well in any condition.
See ya

tuckers20

Mod Ban
Dec 2, 2005
i own a 97 wr250. In australia they are identical to a yz250. A guy called bert flood started importing them and making them street legal. i bought a gasket kit for it not long ago and the guy said it was the same to a yz250. So i dont see the difference in them in Aus. but i no that they are in the U.S.

socalsteve07

Mar 4, 2007
wr's rule

I own a '97 wr 250 2-stroke and I love it. I live on So. Calif. and ride the deserts alot and this is the perfect bike. Its a little heavier, but I also have a 4.0 gal. tank. Great for trail riding. Ive even had it on a track and it does just fine.

Top Bottom