arcing from clutch cable to case

apb

Feb 1, 2005
Has anyone had this problem? The bike is a '90 RMX 250, and when its dark out, with the motor running, I can see a spark arcing from the clutch cable where it attaches to the lever it pulls on the right engine case -- it arcs to the cases, or sometimes to the kickstart lever. It doesn't do it constantly, but, fairly often, and of course, bigger sparks if the engine is reved-up. I've looked over all the electrical connections to the frame for anything obviously not connected, and it seems like everything is buttoned up just how its supposed to be. Also, the motor doesn't rev up as high as it should. Maybe this is because the arcing is resulting in less juice to the plug? Or possibly a separate issue like power valve not opening properly... FYI, the engine was just re-installed after a bottem-end rebuild. Any ideas on how to fix this arc? Thanks for any help in advance.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
It would have to be a insulation problem on the hi voltage side of the coil (sparkplug wire) because a broken insulator on a wire before the coil would ground out the system (kill switch).

Ask you buddy to help troubleshoot by having him kick it over in a puddle while you look at the motor. hehehe..

Top Bottom