woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Bbarel:
You recently mentioned an accident that one of your riding buds had in the UP. Are you talking about Dave? During my stay at the Hospital someone mentioned an accident in the UP that I swore they mentioned invloved Dave... I was on Morphine at the time and was not sure whether I had been dreaming or not. I have been looking for info about it and even had Young Ted try to find something out. Do you know if he is now OK? Back to riding? Can you go into detail about his projected recovery? Do you know if he is accepting phone calls? And Dave, if you are reading this and it was you who got injured, I wish you a VERY speedy recovery!! Of course, if it was not you, I still wish the injured rider a speedy recovery!
Thanks a gazillion!
Woodsy

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Yup Woodsy that was Dave. It happened on memorial weekend. He got himself a good number of broken ribs on both sides, plus a bruised liver and splene. He is nearly fully recovered now.

As a matter of fact he is already back riding as of last weekend for the first time since his incident. He's not a 100% yet, but I'm guessing a few more weeks and he will be back to normal. I'm sure he would like to hear from you. Let me know if you need his number.

It happened on the Birch Hills trail. We rode Foreman, then Birch Hills once and we went to ride Birch Hills again in reverse starting out going towards the east. He was leading. We were only about 2-3 miles into the trail. We had just gotten through some of the gnarliest rocky slow stuff and the trail smoothed out and opened up. It was a little dusty where it happened. I remember thinking here we go as he started to wick it up a bit, and then next thing you know I just saw a big dust cloud. Dave and bike were laid out on the ground andthere were pieces of his headlight exploded all around.

There were not many trees where it happened, but I remember there was one tree to the left, and another tree to the right that you had to weave through. I could see how by avoiding the tree to the left you could get pointed at the 2nd tree to the right. Also his throttle was sticking earlier in the day from binding with the steering damper post, so he thinks maybe his throttle could have stuck on him, but he doesn't rememeber a whole lot about the crash!

He smacked square into the 2nd tree to the right, about a 6-8" Birch going at a real good clip - probably 20mph. He hit that tree dead on and hit it hard. I don't think he had a chance to brake. His upper body was flung directly into that tree and he was in alot of pain. At first I thought he was in big trouble, but we were able to determine he could move all his hands and feet, so that was a good sign.

He was in way too much pain to get up or much less walk. After I got him sortof stabilized and shaded as best as possible I rode back through the 2-3 miles trail to the road. I went north up the road. Luck would have it there were 2 men and a lady working in their yard near the road at the first place I came by - maybe a mile from the trail. They had cell phones, a quad, and the lady was a nurse! What are the odds?

One guy called an ambulance and waited for it. The other guy and the lady got on the quad and followed me back to Dave. Remember I said we just finished a real gnarly rocky section. Well they had to ride that quad double through some of the tightest gnarliest orv trail in MI! I was amazed how well he manuvered that quad. It was very slow going though and I had too keep waiting, but I would also scout out the best way for him to get through because he often had to go way off the trail to get around rocks or tight trees. He got to within a half mile of Dave and then there some mongo rocks there was no way he was going through, so the lady walked back and I rode back to Dave. The lady, who was a nurse tended to Dave.

The guy on the quad had went hunting for an alternate route. He knew the area very well and in no time I heard him bulldozing that quad through the woods towards us, so I ran out and found him and led him back to Dave. Amazingly we were actually right near the edge of his property and he knew exactly where we were. There was a 2-track that crossed the trail only 100 yards up the trail.

So he went back out and found the Ambulance and led it through the 2-track. A county sheriff also showed up. The emt's who drove the ambulance also called in a medic - I think to give Dave some drugs for the pain. I think we had around 10 people out there in the middle of the woods!

So we got him on a board and 6 of us carried him the 100 yards or so down the trail to the Ambulance and they took him to the Sioux hospital where he stayed for about 4 days until he recooped enough so he could move around.

All the people who helped out were incredible!

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
WOW!!!!!!!! What an incredible story!! Thankfully it all worked out like it did and you were able to get him assistance so quickly. I have been riding MANY times by myself and it ALWAYS give me the gajeebers when I do because you NEVER know when something like a stuck throttle is going to give you the ride of your life!!
I am sure Dave has thanked you a million times but I want to also! Thanks for being there!!
Yes, I could use his number. I know he gave it to me when we rode together but I am not sure where I put it. Please e-Mail it to me at Scbarnhard at AOL.com..
Also, was it just you two riding or was the other guy that rode with us at Horseshoe that day with you guys (what was his name)?
THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE!!! I am glad he is on his feet and riding!!
Woodsy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom