deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Folks,

My son's YZ85 came with two Yamaha filters when new. They've served us well, but are showing their age. He never noticed a difference in power when I tried different manufacturer's filters on his KX65, but I know the 85 pulls lots more air and he's riding it harder than ever.

When you read about performance mods folks did on their bikes--pipe, reeds, reed valve, porting, etc.--rarely is a filter mentioned as a performance upgrade. We do need a couple of new filters, however, and I'm looking for a recommendation for both a power boost and engine protection.

Thanks,

deadhead

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I've never seen any hard evidence that one makes more power than another.

When/if I need a new filter, I'm going to try a Ready Filter. They're $8.95 at Rocky Mountain.

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Vic,

Neither have I, but it stands to reason that if two filters are made of different materials, or even the same materials of different thicknesses, one would flow more air than the other and would therefore make more power.

Even though this isn't a motocross link, it makes my point, and it's good reading if you own a musclecar.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/01/airfilters/index.shtml

Soooooooooooo, one air filter CAN be better than all the others. I want to know which one.

deadhead

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Vic said:
I've never seen any hard evidence that one makes more power than another.

Very likely, that's because there isn't any.

If you want the least restriction, run NO filter. They are all a compromise between flow and filtration. Any differences are miniscule. If you're interested in which is the most durable, you may be able to find some differences in that regard.

wade450f

Apr 20, 2003
Wow More power out of that rocketship??
I would think a new tire would let a rider take full advantage of the hit this bike has.
After that porting/pipe would be the way to go.
You must have one fast kid :)

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Gents,

I disagree with your logic. Look at it this way. Every bike needs spark plugs, gas, oil, an air filter, etc.. Unlike a new pipe, all of those things wear out or are used up each ride. They have to be replaced or replenished. If I were to replace the stock pieces with the best plug, the best gas, the best premix oil, the highest flow air filter, etc., all those negligible gains would add up.

I need a couple of new air filters. No one ever says to use the cheapest ones.

deadhead

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
deadhead said:
No one ever says to use the cheapest ones.

And yet, no one can tell you why you shouldn't.

Top Bottom