nmeu@aol.com

Apr 8, 2002
Im looking to get into getting a MI trail bike, and I could use some help. I've ridden street bikes for the last 10 years, and the only dirtbike I've ever ridden is a friends KDX220 with a pipe. What do you think a good trail bike wouldbe for me? My friend is pushing for KDX- because that's what he drives? 2 or 4 stroke? Are there many trails where you can have TOO MUCH bike? Please help,

Thanks,
-Matt

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
It depends on your skill level and the type of riding you plan to do.

An XR250R is great if you're starting out or just plan to do some casual trail riding. KDX's are great for the same type of riding but can be modified as your skill level increases. Motocross bikes actually work pretty well in Michigan too becasue of the open spaces and sandy whooped out trails but they can be a handful in the tighter stuff. And yes, there are many trails where you can have too much bike. It takes a lot of strength to wrestle a large 4st or a 250 MX bike through a tight single track trail. It's also worthy to note that a high powered bike like an MXer will wear you down quickly and cause your arms to pump up because of the death grip you'll have on the bars.

Personally, if I were only going for casual trail rides it would be a no brainer. I would ride an XR250R. However, I ride with a bunch of yahoos that force me to ride faster than I should so I have to ride a YZ250F instead just to avoid getting used for traction! :D

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I agree with Badgerman on the selection of bikes. It depends on your skill level and the type of riding you have planned. The KDX and the XR are great beginner bikes. As new trail rider, I would not recommend trying to convert a MX bike to a trail bike.
Another consideration is the location of a dealer. Any bike will break eventually. I am not sure where you are located, but I would not want to drive more than 30-40 miles to buy a new part.
Do NOT let Badgerman fool you. The rest of his riding buddies spent the entire winter trying to make their bikes faster so we might keep up with him. We are lucky if there is still dust in the air when you follow him through the woods.
Mike

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
For starting out I would agree with the previous posts on the type of bike, but I would make it street legal. This gives you the most riding/trail choices. Think spring!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Oh geez, I completely forgot to mention what a great choice the DRZ is! Also, Craig (Loctite) is right in that a "street legal" bike opens up a bunch of riding opportunites that would otherwise be unavailable on an unlicensed bike.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
The KDX is great for the single track. And there is a seemingly endless ammont of aftermarket parts you can get to make the bike just right for you. This is fine because the KDX is not that expensive in the first place.
I don' t like riding MX bikes on trails but that is just my opinion. Good luck getting a bike and I hope to see you on the trails.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Im a little partial to the 500 af, but a ktm 200-300 wouldnt do you wrong. I ran a 200 mxc for a few years and loved it. The kdx is a good bike also, as are the four strokes, but they are not my cup of tea.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
KDX is a good choice!

I started riding dirt (in my late 30's!) four years ago. I bought a barely used KDX200. What a great bike to start with! It's pretty mellow in stock trim, and it adapts easily, cheaply, and quite well to various hop-ups! As you get better (braver?), you can improve the bike as well. At some point, you might "outgrow" it, but then you'll have a really good idea of what you'll want to move into.
It is good advise to find a nearby dealer that you can be comfortable with, cause you'll break lots of stuff as you learn! Join a club, like the Michigan Cycle Conservation Corp, you'll learn lots from others -- dirtbikers love to tell you stories and give lots of advice; it's up to you to seperate the fact from fiction....

crb

Oct 14, 2001
Uh Oh, If you guys are talking KDX someone better call Fred he just might have a teeny, weenie bit of information on that subject.

rideblue0

Feb 21, 2001
Ok,i ride a MXer and i think its great.96 YZ250.Only beef i have with it is the rock hard ,thin seat.Needs to be a little wider and softer.I put in a different gear setup and i will tell you what,this bike will take anything you can throw at it.I ride it fast as i can in open areas and fast as i can in even the tightest of places.Ive ridden in places that my bars barely fit through.Its all in how you ride and where you want the power.To many people go on what somebody else reccomends.Just do some research on some bikes,ask people about theirs,but just make your own decision.If you dont like it,sell it.
smilies and quotes are stupid

Top Bottom