Best deal/strongest handlebars?

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Looking at replacing both my son's and my handelbars. Are the pro taper--other fat bars-- about $200 with the clamp kit really worth the extra bones? Or are a set of Renthal's just about as good. My son races his KX 85 so a crash and break situation is probably more critical for him than me. Have neven seen a post on this subject so I thought I'd stir the pot.

Dennis

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Try Tag X5's

I really like mine and they fit in 7/8 clamps. The Tags are 1 MM thinker in the center area than Renthals so a little bit stronger-I have not had any "spectacular" get offs but have smacked a tree once and fell over a few times and they took it with no problem.

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
I'd have to agree, if you are putting yourself in the situation of pushing it to the edge....the chances of crashing with a higher impact is alot more succeptable when racing. In that case I highly recommend going with the oversize bars/clamps. I've personally have had much better luck with the oversized (ProTaper, Renthal Twinwall) than any other standard 7/8" bar. After a couple pairs of the standards, you have paid more than what a good oversize combo will run you. :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Another vote for Tag X5's

My friend crashed pretty good the first day with her Renthal Twinwalls and twisted them up pretty good. So the oversized bars are definately not 100% reliable.

Both my guy and I run Tag X5 bars (YZ 426 and YZ 125). We both prefer standard 7/8" bars and because the Tag's are a little thicker - they seem to be the right answer for us. We have both been very satisfied with them! I think Bob's and a few other sites sell them for $60. They retail for $80.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Protapers were one of the first things I added to my Gas Gas. I would recommend them. i also got the Scotts triple clamp.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Everything that i have gatheres is that Pro Tappers are very nice, I will go with those when I can. Otherwise, cheap but good are EMIGO. Anyone know of them? My friend says that aint bad. But they are cheap.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Azonics

I like my O'Neal Azonic twinwalls. You can get them for around $100. They are 1 1/8" bars w/foam filling between the walls helps reduce vibration.
I've put them to the test and so far so good. I just bend the bar mount bolts on my CR every time I crash hard but the bars handle it fine.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
I've been running standard renthals with some bark busters on them. The money saved on levers is always nice and I think they add a lot of strenth to the bar since I haven't bent a set of bars in the last 5 years. I haven't bought into the whole oversized bar deal simply because you have to buy new mounts. I will agree that they look cool.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
yeah... i have some regular renthals too, and they have been holding up quite well.... many drops/crashes..... still rock solid]

msport

Sep 4, 2001
RE: handlebars

I crashed my FatBars on rocks this weekend and they're still true. They're lighter and cost less than ProTapers or Tag T2s, but still strong. The Renthal and Azonic Twinwalls are too heavy and might be an issue for your kid.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
My Demarini singlewall pro's have lasted two years with numerous endos, low sides, high sides,...you get the point. They are definately stronger than Renthals and cost about the same, maybe $20 more. I have seen the doublewall Demarinis break in a hard low side crash. I'd buy demarinis again.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I agree with Senior KX...I have bent and witnessed bending of many Renthal 7/8" bars, to me if you were going to go that route you would be better off with a $15 set of steel bars, and just replace or bend back as needed.

Pro tapers are much more crash resistant than 7/8" renthals. The adaptor kit is much cheaper than buying the whole upper tripple clamp, and with the low bars it works fine.

The comment about bending the Renthal Twin Wall bars, remember they are guaranteed...send them back and you should get a free replacement.

KXrider12

Sponsoring Member
Jan 2, 2002
I have the Renthal Twin walls(rc bend) and i have quite a few great get offs and they havent given me any problems and as for the Renthal fatbars, they are a waste of your money, they are no stronger than the standard bar size and cost more. One guy at the track wrecked and there was nothing hard about it and they bent back to the gas tank. So i wouldnt recomend them for anyone, but i would the Twin Walls:D

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I run a pair of renthals thanks to "Tiger", I got them used so I don’t know how many times he had them in the dirt. I've had them down hard 4 times now and they are still true, wish I could say the same for the clutch levers...:confused:

Top Bottom