Best Riding in the United States

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
Where is the best trail riding in all of the united states. I want to live near a huge trail system where I can ride my bike a few miles down the road, get into the trails, and ride trails all day long every day.

I saw a show about a dirtbike adventure company out in colorado, and the trails looked amazing, up through the mountains, 100's of miles long.

If you had the choice, where would you go?

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
Here's another vote for Idaho. Some of the best trail systems anywhere. A few minutes from my house, in any direction is dirtbike heaven.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
Awesome. I'm just tired of living in western ny, where I have to drive a couple hours to find any sort of riding.

How about some specific places? Towns, citys, areas?

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Clearcreek, CA

The location of the National Enduro in February. This place has got to be in the top 10 or 20 places in the nation to ride!

Hi I'm Chris

May 27, 2004
Maine.

Every time I visit my parents up in Bangor, I drag my bike along with me. We end up near Moosehead Lake where there's trails and logging roads for miles and miles. :)

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
I'm thinking anything seriously rural should suit your bill.... now, if you want to know where you can ride MOST often, check rainfall, temps, snowfall (if any), etc....

Anyplace with dirt and my dirtbike on it is GREAT riding... seriously, I've never had an issue with "bad" riding... the only issue is enough riding...

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
yeah. I just see those shows on TV about New Zealand and get jealous. I want to ride 24hrs a day everyday of the year and not have to repeat trails, haha. But seriously.... . . I was thinking the rockies would have some amazing riding, out in the denver - slc region. I just wish riding was more convenient, right out my backdoor.

KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
How can anybody say what the best is? Nobody has ridden everywhere and in reality there is great riding all over the continent. But in the spirit of this thread i say Southern California; the center of the dirt bike universe. We have such diversity of terrains too, I have the Mojave desert to the north, Angeles National Forest for 100's of miles of mountain / desert trails local (I am in Los Angeles county), Pismo Beach for riding dunes on the beach (beat that) Ocotillo Wells and world-famous Glamis to the south and Big Bear for the forest mountain trails. This is all around the Los Angeles - San Diego area. This is the mecca, if you want to go buy something from one of the big companies you can just go to their establishment directly, they are all here.

Hey we all have great riding spots but can anyone challenge the massive landscape of terrains that SoCall offers?

F1Turbo

Nov 9, 2003
KTA,

What are your favorite places in Western NY? I grew up in the area (now live in Orlando) and will be vacationing there this summer. My two kids ride ATVs with me, so there needs to be some beginner/intermediate type dual track.

I hoped to go to Canada to ride, but it looks like their licensing and insurance requirements will make that cost prohibitive. Do they make any allowances for foreigners?

Also--have you ridden Hatfield-McCoy in WV? We went there last year and liked it.

Thanks!

tjak

Feb 19, 2004
I would have to say Alaska. Never ending trails, 24 hours of daylight in the summer months!! Can't beat it! We end up riding for hours, loosing track of time and ending up back home at midnight!! If you ever have the opportunity to visit, find someone with a bike and head on out!

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
I'd tell ya but then I'd have to killya.. Right here is the greatest unknown untaped trail and offroad riding in the continental U.S. of A. I can ride from my home until I literally run out of gasa and still not do all the trails etc, that are here..

aus426

Mar 7, 2004
I know its not north america, but I just spent my saturday doing about 250km of beach riding about 2 hours north of Brisbane on Australia's east coast. After blasting up the beach for about an hour, we ship across on the ferry to Fraser Island, the worlds biggest sand island, and dirtbike paradise! Just wondering if anyone here has had the chance to do a big beach ride, cos i gotta say, im hooked! (just like the teeth on my sprockets i guess... lol)

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Colorado is great, but you can't ride the mountains much during the winters. In the summers you can ride jeep roads and single track to your heart's content. Have breakfast in Aspen, ride over a 12,000 foot mountain pass, and have lunch in Crested Butte. The laws are so loose that it's not hard to get a license plate for a full-blown motocrosser.

The western slope of Colorado around Grand Junction and Rabbit Valley has some amazing trail riding, and you can ride year round. Grand Junction has the most incredible free-riding I've ever seen. If you've seen Crusty I or II, you know what I mean. Growing up riding in different areas of CA like San Diego, the Mojave Desert, and the Bay Area, I'd have to say California doesn't have anything on Colorado. Moab, dunes, mountain passes, and plenty of national forest are within two hours of Grand Junction.

If you like MX, there are five top-notch tracks within an hour of Denver, and three more within an hour of Colorado Springs. Liability laws are very loose in CO, keeping the costs down for track days. Gotta love a state where they sell trampolines at Walmart. There are two AMA sanctioned organizations in Colorado with nearly 1,000 riders each. When it snows, we cross-train by skiing and snowboarding at world-class resorts.

Last edited:

little Kawi

Mar 18, 2007
I have to agree with Shig, Grand Junction is a great place to ride. From beginer to crazy there is something for everyone. I go there quite often, its only about 30 minutes from where I live. If anyone knows of a mx or sx track close to GJ please let me know.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
Idaho ! mountain single track , desert riding , water crossings,
beautiful scenery , thousands of miles of trails.

Ride year round.
I grew up in MN and moved here 24 yrs ago.
My best friend moved to Texas and came out here to visit one
winter. We skied Jackson Hole for a few days and went riding
for a few days. I thought the guy was going to burst! He could not believe we could do both in the same week.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
KTA said:
Where is the best trail riding in all of the united states. I want to live near a huge trail system where I can ride my bike a few miles down the road, get into the trails, and ride trails all day long every day.

I saw a show about a dirtbike adventure company out in colorado, and the trails looked amazing, up through the mountains, 100's of miles long.

If you had the choice, where would you go?

Hatfield & McCoy Trail.

http://www.trailsheaven.com/about/maps.aspx

larchitect07

Apr 16, 2007
Central Colorado is the best riding by far, all BLM or Forest service land and lots of it. Amazing trail systems and you won't ride the same trail over and over. I ride the Taylor Park area near gunnison, It absolutly beautiful, the whole area is.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
one thing i hate about mississippi riding, is you can only see about ten feet in front of you cause of all the trees and tall shrubs. I wish i could find a place that had wide open trails like you see in the magazines. They should always print where the photos are taken.... is colorado/idaho open like that?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom