mark34

Feb 18, 2007
Hi there, I maybe getting back into dirt biking later this year but I've been out of the loop since the early 90's so I'm unsure what's new in the world of dirt bikes. In the late 80's and early 90's I owned two 80's (KX & RM) and two 250's (CR) and preferred the 80's because of their size and power delivery. I mainly rode the trails (NJ) as I find tracks to be boring. The 250's were physically too big for me to muscle around in the tight stuff which is one reason I need a smaller bike. I know, peaky two strokes aren't the best in the woods but that's what I like. I am aware of the newer four strokes as I rode a Honda 450(?) two years ago for about 3 hours in the Arizona dessert. I marveled at the way it revved but again, it's too big for me and what I plan on doing. Here's some info:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'4"/130lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Somewhere in between
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Woods
4) Do you have any riding experience? Five years
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Two Stroke/No brand preference
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I would only buy used
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Less than $1,500
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? Read above and below

I sat on a CR85 Big Wheel/Expert not long ago and it felt okay, a little bigger would be perfect. A normal sized 80 would be too small for me now. Are there any other "minis" that are physically bigger than the big wheel? What about the KX100? Thank you for your time.

mark34

Feb 18, 2007
Thanks 2 stroke for the reply. What's your opinion on the rm85 big wheel? I just read somewhere that the rm85L is a better bike than the kx and rm100 (Essentially the same bike right?) and is just as big.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I would say get a 125 or a 250F and just lower it.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I think the KTM 105SX is pretty big too. If you're hell bent on a "big" mini, the KX, RM, and SX are the ones you want to look at, unless of course you get a big wheel version and bore out the motor.

mark34

Feb 18, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. I never thought about lowering a 125 or 250. Is it as simple as a shock adjustment? I've heard of the KTM but don't know much about it. Again, if I were interested in tracks I wouldn't even think of getting a "mini", but in the past I've had to drag 250's out of some sticky situations in the trails and that wasn't fun, especially now that I'm older. I need to get to work on monday morning. Thanks again for your time.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
If trails is your thing, then a KDX may suit you well also. Between me 'n 2 stroke for life, as well as everyone else, I think alot of the bikes may have been covered. Not sure if you were just looking at the big 5 brands, but I know that Gas Gas and Husky make a few smaller bore trail 2 strokes.

Top Bottom