wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
does any one know if there are books on tuning 2 strokes or 4 srokes w/porting shaving heads and different angkes w/ ports and stuff like that? :coocoo:

i know erics book has some pretty good refrences on these topics, but i was wondering if there were any others. :coocoo:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Four-stroke Engine Design/Tuning info :

Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines - Gordon P. Blair
Published by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) ISBN Number: 0-7680-0440-3 Date Published: August 1999
This book is in the MUST HAVE category for any aspiring Four-Stroke tuner. It's basically a college course in four-stroke engine design and serious tuning.

The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice : Vol 1 Thermodynamics, Fluid Flow, Performance
&
The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice : Vol 2 Combustion, Fuels, Materials, Design - Charles Fayette Taylor

- Published by MIT press Vol 1 ISBN: 0262700263, Vol 2 ISBN: 0262700271
This pair of volumes sell for about $63 and amount to an entry level college course in engine design, and function. These books helped drag me out of the "just another dumb-ass mechanic" club. If you don't feel comfortable spending hundreds of dollars on books, buy these two, study them and you'll see a whole new world open before your very eyes.

Theory and Practice of Cylinder Head Modification by David Vizard
Is a good general purpose starting point on porting. David Vizard has written a number of excellent books that can teach you a lot about four-stroke tuning.

Another good general purpose book is :

Practical Gas Flow: Techniques for Low-Budget Performance Tuning by John Dalton

Two-stroke Engine Design/Tuning info :

Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines - Gordon P. Blair
Published by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) ISBN Number: 1-56091-685-0
This book is in the MUST HAVE category for any aspiring Two-Stroke tuner. It's basically a college course in two-stroke engine design. Learn it and you'll smoke most guys who make their living butchering ports.

For a less expensive alternative check out SAE paper 910671 "Measurement of Flows During Scavenging in a Two-Stroke Engine" by H.Sean Hilbert and R.E. Falco .
It's a great paper based on a KX125 which makes it much more useful and attractive than many research papers. Sean Hilbert was an R&D engineer at Ford and he now is the President of Cobra Minicycles.

Performance Tuning in Theory & Practice - A. Graham Bell
This is an excellent general purpose two-stroke book. Excellent pipe info even if it is somewhat dated. It's cheaper and much easier to get through than Blair's book.

Don't forget the infamous Red Book "Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook" by the late great Gordon Jennings . It's out of print, but it's still a great book if you can find it. It's the best $6.00 I ever spent.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i can't seem to find access to the second 2-smoke book,

the one about the kx125? i saw it on google but couldn't get to the site. :bang: :bang:

rich i also found that 2-smoke tuners book, but i wasn't $6.00,on amazon it is $96.25!! yikes, and i made sure it was the same author :| :bang:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Last edited:

JFN

Jan 3, 2001
Some more good books on porting and mainly two stroke engines are:

Motorcycle Tuning (Two Stroke) by John Robinson

Motorcycle Tuning (Four Stroke) by John Robinson

Two-Stroke High Performance Engine Design & Tuning
by Cesare Bossaglia

Two-Stroke Ports for Power by Roy Bacon
This one will hard to find, I think. It's fairly old but still has some good info.

There is one SAE paper that, IMHO, is a must read for any aspiring two or four stroke turner. That is:
Scavenging and Other Problems of Two-Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engines by Alfred Jante SAE# 680468
This is the paper where everyone starts from. IMHO. :cool:

Another good book on Four Strokes is:
Advanced Engine Technology by Heinz Heisler
This is also a SAE book. :ride:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
JFN said:
Some more good books on porting and mainly two stroke engines are:

Motorcycle Tuning (Two Stroke) by John Robinson

Motorcycle Tuning (Four Stroke) by John Robinson

I'll second the John Robinson books. His stuff is excellent. :cool:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
My first two-stroke read:
Two-stroke Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell, Second Edition
ISBN 1-85960-619-9
The first edition was first published in 1983, the second in 1999.

I'm looking forward to getting the book by Eric Gorr and Blair's 2-stroke book.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
how is eric;s second edition book on 2 strokes?

i hear so much good stuff about these books, but i've never actually read them.

how many are there? is there 2 or 3?

i just ordered the second edition off amazon, should be here in a week, can't wait

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom