jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
ahh yes being laid off royally stinks. Wandering around wearing out shoe leather, knuckles, and pencils filling out applications was starting to get the best of me. Heck even checking on DRN 100 times a day did little for my sanity. After 20 years of working just about every day with working two jobs often I just don't know what to do with myself

But all is good! I have found a job! I am the new parts counter trainee at the local motorcycle shop. :o Doesn't pay as well as my last job but it is giving me purpose! At 39 it feels wierd starting all over and in a field where I probably won't make as much as I used too but I feel young again ,excited ,nervous, anxious about my career change.

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train heading at me. With any luck I will never get the same old same old routine feeling again. I have been soul searching about a career change for some time and this Lord willing just might be it!

I am usually a patient person , and always willing to learn so I am hoping I can pick it up quick and be able to deal with customers.
After working with some of the most malicious, vindictive people I have ever seen this is a welcomed change.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by jmics19067
After working with some of the most malicious, vindictive people I have ever seen this is a welcomed change.

so how long have you been working in my lab? :eek:

congrsats on the new job!:)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
very true! I have always enjoyed fixing things so being a mechanic would have been a natural choice but I guess it was just getting long in the teeth for me as a job.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by bclapham

so how long have you been working in my lab? :eek:

congrsats on the new job!:)

heheheh Bruce listen to this,

this has got to be one of the most irresponsible things that can happen in a work place.

I used to work with family since it was assumed by my fellow workers that I had a better deal they saw it fit to actually open my paychecks. Now being in the business for 20 years had no influence on me making more than someone who had worked for 5. Now that being illegal doesn't even chap my hide as much as this part my boss<who isn't family> who doesn't reprimand the workers whne they open my check, decides it easier to get rid of me then to deal with the whiners complaining I "make too much". Now to be honest there where a fewother issues brought up at my dismissal but that one chaps my hide to no end. A couple of other issues where;

Whne we where slow I would clock out and work on my bike, In my mind I did nothing morally wrong or illegal, but of course me clocking out didntmatter when someone would tell the boss I was working on my bike. These where also the same people who would wash their cars and change thier oil while on the clock.< another hide chapper>

Me being part time and the hours I was able to work didnt fit in with thier schedule. I so wish this was the only thing said to me because I understand it and have no ill will . business is business and if thing dont work out they don't work out. If this was the only thing said I definately don't think I would harbor these bitter resentments.

but I guess that being trouble making rats as long as you brown nosing has a lot more weight than just trying to do your job to thebest of your ability.

Live and learn

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Parts guy at local motorcycle shop eh! Hmmm... can you say " i dont have it but i can order it" hehehe, sorry i just couldn't resist.

Sounds like a dream job to me jmics, just be ready to take on John "Q" public.

Good Luck!

Dave......

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Congrats on the job.... Like 490Dave said, just don't be the typical newbie parts guy and you should get along great. Most of the new parts guys I have dealt with assume just because the computer says one thing that is there only option. They haven't learned the wyley ways of the more experienced parts professional. You have been around this long enough that you should do just fine.

rla

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
So where are you in PA? What brands do you represent? You on commission?

Might as well give yourself a shameless plug!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Thank you all for the well wishes :worship:

I work for a nice little literally Mom and Pop store that I have been going to ever since I owned a Yamaha. I have frequented the place enough that usually as a customer I would walk around the counter and look up and write down what I needed for myself. I think they might have the idea that I know how to be a parts man . NO I only know how to get the parts I need, quite a bit of difference, I have a lot to learn. I have no knowledge of water craft , quads , or streetbikes since I have only worked on one kawasaki road bike and one suzuki quad for friends.

490Dave I can have it for you next week unless you want to pay overnite charges.

check this out http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/columns/checkpoint/index.html
:eek:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
A parts guy that will know what he is talking about! This will be a first. Well okay my local parts shop is good. . .but the next closest is real bad. Me "Do you have a top end kit for a '82 YZ100" Parts guy "Thats a Honda right?" when they dont even sell Honda's there! True story. What a moron. :silly:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom