Feb 25, 2001
When I had asked a friend who knows a guy who runs a engine shop if the guy could do some work for me he said ofcoarse sure....I asked how much would he charge to bore my cylinder to a 144cc and he said he isnt sure but he knows its not safe to bore more than 80 over..is that 80mm ? if so how many over do you have to go to achieve a 133 or 144 ?

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
No 80 over refers to 0.080" which is 2mm of overbore. (1mm=0.03937") I don't know which bike you are talking about but the formula below will allow you to calculate the new displacement. Get out you calculator rocket scientist. :scream:

Volume(cc) = {([(Bore(mm)+2.03mm)*0.5]^2)*PI*Stroke(mm)}/1000

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
send your cylinder to eric gorr, he's just about the only source for the piston kits and besides the cylinder will need to be plated after it is bored, you could track down the parts and have a company plate the cylinder for you but you'll have much more money time and effort than if you just do it right the first time. When I had eric do my '95 with the 144, cut for high test pump gas and ported for all across the band the bike flat out ripped, it was without a doubt the meanest 125 I've ever been on, but it still didn't perform like I had hoped so I sold it at a loss :(

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by smb_racing
but it still didn't perform like I had hoped so I sold it at a loss :(

May I ask you what do you mean by that?
What did you expect,(or wanted) the bike to do? ect.?
Was 144 to much for the weight of the 125?
Would a 133 be a better choice?
Was it way too squirrelly?

I dont mean to put you in a spot. Just wondering cause I want to have
(now its my son's though) his YZ125 a couple of cc's bigger for his FMX riding.

Thanks..

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the bike flat out ripped, tons of bottom for a 125, really really good midrange and a lot on top. The weight of the bike and the stiff motocross suspension just weren't my style, I'm used to plushly suspended heavy bikes with tame power. In tight woods the 144 lit up right about 1/3 - 1/2 throttle and wanted to jump out of my hands, when you're scratching each bark buster because the trees are so narrow this is no good. When I bought the 125 I thought I could make it something it wasn't, I really needed a 250 but wanted light weight, the power on the 144 is good, but not what I wanted. If you've got a tired 125 and want to breathe some life into it this is the best money you could spend on the bike in my opinion, if you've got any other questions just send me an email or a PM and I'll be happy to answer them.

Top Bottom