Broken Piston Skirt & more I killed my bike!

Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
Ok I had a shattered piston skirt and a hole in my engine case
but the bike still ran ok but lacked major power! The piston was shattered on the intake side of the piston. I did a quick top end rebuild 10 over just to get me through the riding season last year but I didn't notice the crack in the bottom of the motor. I had a skid plate on so the engine case would be protected! :ohmy:
I always ran a maxima 927 @ 32:1 and kept the airfilter clean. Ran min. of 92 octane fuel and changed the transmission oil as suggested. The hole was just a crack at the case halfs but I lost much crankcase pressure. Being that the bike was a 500 2 stroke Honda CR it still did have quite a bit of power but I noticed a big loss in compression when kicking the bike over. Hey it usually would start on the first or second kick! One of the signs of trouble that I noticed was overheating while riding tight woods trails or on long steep hills. I got hot but not to the point of worry. Tom at the Honda shop said "It's a 500 just ride it you'll know when it needs rebuilt"! So after the first season of play riding real hard I parked the bike for winter. The next year I did the same thing and towards the end of the third year I'm really paying for not at least re-ringing the bike! I'm thinking that the rings just were worn and the cast cylinder/piston clearance was causing excessive wear on the connecting rod and crank&bearings. Anyways I decided to park the bike last August and start tearing it down and here I am today still not riding! Soon I'll be going again but not soon enough! I kills me to see everyone ride by and here I am stuck! I'm going to start a new maintenance program..."Pay Now or Pay More Later" Well the bike is back to brand new condition (2000CR500) and the motor has been shipped to Eric Gorr for a total rebuild! Well I figure that if I would have almost enough in rebuild cost that I could have just bought a new one ...... Almost...... Any suggestions on my Maintenance Program!

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
Dirtman Preventive Maintenance is very important on anything mechanical!! I used to at least put rings in twice a year on my 125 and would usually do a top end rebuild once money permitting.. I was very budget limited back in the day..... Sorry to hear about your 500 and hopefully you'll get back riding again really soon....

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Oops! Been there, done that!

You can remove the reed cage and check the piston skirt through the intake side in future so you can see the crack starting.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom