XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okay, I'm no photogramagician, but this picture strikes a bit of a chord with me.

This is my daughter up on the Lewis Clark Motorway from last fall. I was digging through the multitude of pics my wife took and thought this one was good.

Let me know what you pros think. My biggest hangup (on the full size pic) is that the focus happened more on the tree in front of her than on her.

Attachments

• IMG_2812(2).JPG
    IMG_2812(2).JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 221

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
She's looking at the forest floor??!

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
my take on this kind of a picture... its probaly best when there are more shadows, a early morning or late evening picture.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
yeah, shadows weren't readily available due to the overcast nature of the day. Thanks Bspeed.

And trial07, keep bein' Canadian! :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Pred - The obvious thought is, your daughter needs to be more prominent in the picture. She sort of disappears into the scene. I was goofing around last night with the image to see if I could make here stand out more. If you'd like I can post a couple of the versions I came up with.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
have at 'er, Rich. I'll email you the full pic so you have more to play with rather than the resized version. (to the "at dirtrider" address)

What struck me about it is that she *is* kind of lost in the picture, and I wanted to show as much forest and meadow around her, and I wanted to include the sky, even if it's a tad dreary.

I'm having a hard time putting into words what this pic makes me "feel", I guess ;)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
What's she lookin' at?"

"Dadddy, I don't see know darn Huckelberry's, you said we'd find some huckelberry's"

or

"Dad, I think theres another Sasquatch in the area, this prints just dang'um large to be a Bear print"

I'm having a hard time putting into words what this pic makes me "feel"
But what I think you are feeling is, how fragile, insignafacant, and vulnerable your daughter looks and how without you there she's all alone and potentially in danger. What your feeling is your genetically coded instinctual urge to be at her side for protection.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
I'm having a hard time putting into words what this pic makes me "feel", I guess ;)

In my mind that's the sign of a good picture. Any picture that evokes real feelings is good in my book. ;)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
XRpredator said:
yeah, shadows weren't readily available due to the overcast nature of the day. Thanks Bspeed.

And trial07, keep bein' Canadian! :cool:

Hehe, I just realized how dumb this post was. Sorry for that... :bang:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
First attempt at it.

Pred_2812_v1.jpg

Second attempt.

Pred_2812_v2.jpg

and a third unsuccessful attempt. :bang:

Pred_2812_v3.jpg

Oh well, I guess I should limit my fix-it attempts to mechanical things. :)

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
actually, the soft-focus in the second one is kinda neat.

Maybe take the b/w one and send it to Ted Turner for a little bit of colorizing ;), or maybe a sepia tone?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
Maybe take the b/w one and send it to Ted Turner for a little bit of colorizing ;), or maybe a sepia tone?

I'll do it with Sepia and a couple of other B&W tricks tonight. :cool:

olderndirtmom sent me a good suggestion in e-mail so I'm going to add that in as well.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I think your second attempt is really neat! If I can suggest, it could be better if it was a tiny bit sharper.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
trial_07 said:
I think your second attempt is really neat! If I can suggest, it could be better if it was a tiny bit sharper.

It's soft focused on purpose so the foreground tree isn't so prominent.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I took two quick shots at it. On the first one I blurred everything out a little bit and then added back some detail, but just on her. The second one is a quick and dirty attempt at selective color. Some of the pros consider it a cliched technique, but it's cool if used properly. I'm not sure I really like it here, but thought it might be a good way to help her stand out a little from the forrest.

Attachments

• predpic1 copy.jpg
    predpic1 copy.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 119
  • predpic2 copy.jpg
    predpic2 copy.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 112

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The second one looks great Kawi. Cliched or not it accomplishes the task of bringing Pred's daughter out as the focal point of the shot even though the focus sensor on the camera used the tree.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I tried my hand at trying to clear up the background. It's amazing the things you find in the forest! :laugh:

Attachments

• xrgirl.jpg
    xrgirl.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 89

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
dagnabbit twinkles! He didn't show up in that pic, but he was in this one

Attachments

• chesterfest 013a.JPG
    chesterfest 013a.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 80

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
AAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEE! Sasquatch! That's even scarier than that dang Chupacabra thing sitting on my back deck.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Since pred missed this on the first picture... I'm betting there are more that did so he's some help finding Waldo! lol

Attachments

• xrbf.jpg
    xrbf.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom