C-Clips took out piston and cylinder, need advice.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
1996 RM250 first of all. The clips on both sides broke, on one side, just about an 1/8th of an inch of the clip broke. On the other side, half the clip broke. Put a big gouge in the cylinder, will need to be welded, bored, and plated, plus a new piston.
The problem is that I'm worried that the peices of clips fell down to the crank. Only one small peice was jammed in the cylinder wall, so there's some metal unaccounted for. Is it likely that they're in the bottom end, or that they got blown out the exaust? The bike was running for about 20 to 30 seconds after the topend went (I thought I had a plug fouling on me, so I was trying to clean it out). So during that time, maybe it go blown out? Or should I just go ahead and split the crankcase and have a look around? Since the bike was running for so long after the damage started, I'd assume that the clips couldn't be in there anymore. The crank doesn't have any marks on it, but I don't know if it would if the clips had gone down.

Also, I'm not sure why it happened. The clips were put in pointing down for one, which is the right way. I might have had a small coolant leak into the cylinder, would that have done it? I'm thinking that I was too rough with the clips putting them in. They only had about 10 hours on them when this happened.

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
If you are that worried about a peice of the clip being in the case then drain your oil, see if there are any signs of a slip in there. Try that a few times. If that doesn't work then try getting one of those bolts (the one that lets you drain your oil) that has a magnet on the end. KTM's come stock with them and you can see if your transmission is in any good shape or not from the filings on that end of the bolt. If all esle fails then bring the bottom end to a dealer and get them to clean and inspect it.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
fatboyslim said:
If you are that worried about a peice of the clip being in the case then drain your oil, see if there are any signs of a slip in there. Try that a few times. If that doesn't work then try getting one of those bolts (the one that lets you drain your oil) that has a magnet on the end. KTM's come stock with them and you can see if your transmission is in any good shape or not from the filings on that end of the bolt. If all esle fails then bring the bottom end to a dealer and get them to clean and inspect it.

its a two stroke - this won't work. the crankcase is separated from the trans. if you are concerned that that there are pieces, split the cases. its a 96, it can't hurt to update the crank bearings and seals. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Or you could pull the top end, then turn it upside down and shoot air and WD40 into the crankcase while you turn the crank. While unconventional, it makes sense, and just worked for me on a $200 MX175 I did rings and right mainseal on. I might take another aproach though if it was a $2000 bike.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Colorado said:
Or you could pull the top end, then turn it upside down and shoot air and WD40 into the crankcase while you turn the crank. While unconventional, it makes sense, and just worked for me on a $200 MX175 I did rings and right mainseal on. I might take another aproach though if it was a $2000 bike.

I did that to My KX at DW'05. Worked great....for a couple months......then all the little stuff I missed started reaking havock with the mainbearings and seals........If you gotta ride for a week or so, go for it, if you wanna do it right, split it. YZ165

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
mg89 said:
Was there any rattling noise made in the bottom end, when it was running?

No, and it ran for about 20 seconds after I felt it first let go (I thought it was the plug fouling on me). But I'm going to go ahead and split them, when I get the bike running again, I don't want any problems, mainly because I'm spending over $300 to get the cylinder repaired and a new topend. Thanks for the advice guys.

Top Bottom