Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Long term or short?

There will still be racing there this year. A new property owner wanted the track operator to pay $50k up front for insurance for the year, and then not guarantee that the land will be available for the year.

I think they've worked something out now, and should start riding this year soon.

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
I guess long and short term. I wanted to know short term cause I was wanting to go riding there in the next month. I hope long term is as "long" as possible. :ugg:

thanks for replying Tony.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by fred2
I hope long term is as "long" as possible.

Well, although this has been said for 20 years, I wouldn't count on riding MX or drag racing at Carlsbad in 2004.

But, who knows? Maybe we should use the tree hugger tactic and find an endangered rat on the property :moon:

The developers will be delayed again....

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Tony,

Funny. Maybe there's a species on the land that needs premix and burnt rubber smell to survive? :think: Then they would have to tear down some of the surrounding buildings for more off-roading. Then open up the fields across the road. Then........

Wake up Fred!!!!!!!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
they are reopening, however, there is a catch, a big catch! :think:

its a membership only deal. $400 for half a year, $700 for the full year and you are good to ride twice a month for that, weekends only. 150 memberships available on a first come first served basis.

no racing, no under 18's

its a real shame, :| i wont be going again but i am sure they will have no problem selling those memberships.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I reveived this e-mail from CRA:

The raceway with nine lives. Possibly 10 !!!!! will resume it's motocross practice on March 29th. Our Practice will have a new club format limited to a 150 members (No minors 18 & up) based on a first come first serve basis. We will be operating one Sat. & one Sun. per month for a total of 22 practices for the year. CRA will continued on the same qualities of service as in past events. Professionally prepped track, flaggers, & monitored by an ambulance. There are two payment options available: 1 year/22 practices= $700.00 or 6 months/11 practices= $400.00 (gate fees are all inclusive). To reserve your spot please inquire by e-mail or phone# (760) 722-6639.
If your're a fan of Carlsbad, then this is going to be your only opportunity to ride at Carlsbad. Unfortunately the new landlord has imposed many restrictions allowing us to have only 150 riders in our club and practices are the only kinds of events we can hold. The new landlord is not allowing any more Racing/GRAN Prix's or any outside promoters due to new insurance policies and liabilities.
Carlsbad Raceway has weathered many storms: Developers, Lawsuits, and many different landlords. This will be our fortieth year in business and we are very excited to have an opportunity to ride the famous Carlsbad U.S.G.P. track again.
We hope all who join us can have the same appreciation.

$700/22 = $32 per practice :eek:
$400/11 = $36 rep practice :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
I think they'll get 150 folks... times $700 is about $105,000. With $50k for insurance, it looks like there's still an incentive to keep going, at about $2500/ day. Many tracks can be rented for $500 to $800 per day. Wonder how much the land owner gets. Did the drag strip survive?

I have to work on weekends, so I've probably already ridden my last time there.

I'll miss racing there.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom